Choosing Between RGS and John Hampden Grammar School

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2021EnTrY

Choosing Between RGS and John Hampden Grammar School

Post by 2021EnTrY »

Hi All,

I have another question on choosing between two schools, RGS (Royal Grammar School) and John Hampden School. My son is good in is studies strong in Maths , doing calculations etc

Not very sporty but plays football every week.

Ofsted rating of RGS has gone down from Outstanding to Good, distance-wise both are the same from our home 10-15 min drive

We have attended an open evening for John Hampden Grammar School last week and will be going to the opening evening of RGS next week.

Will be extremely thankful if anyone can give an opinion on these schools.

Thanks
new to all this

Re: Choosing Between RGS and John Hampden Grammar School

Post by new to all this »

Boths schools are strong academically, they are both selective.
If your son's only sport is football ( and he enjoys it and wishes to continue playing ) you should consider John Hampden-RGS do not play football and RGS really promote playing a sport (particularly rugby).
Do consider where his friends are going and what your son's impressions are of both schools. He'll be there for 7 years and you want him to be happy.
2021EnTrY

Post by 2021EnTrY »

We attended the open morning at RGS today.

Distance-wise both grammar schools (RGS & John Hampden) are approx 10 min drive from our house.

I need to fill in the CAF and are confused between the two schools. I will really appreciate any guidance to help us make a decision about which school to put on our CAF form.

As mentioned previously football is his only sport but it will not be the deciding factor, I prefer a school where academics are important.

Please can experienced parents please share their views on the two schools - the good, bad and ugly? Please share your positives and negatives about both schools.

Thanks in advance.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

How easy are they to get to if you don’t drive your DS. Does one have better transport options than the other?

Worth looking at that so they can travel independently if and when the need arises.
TNM47

Post by TNM47 »

Hi

What does your gut feel tell you especially after the Open Day? Academically they are both strong schools and do not worry about the Ofsted.

Football should not be the deciding choice - they can still continue to play this outside of school if they wish to but perhaps be exposed to other sports that they might not have done?

My older son is at RGS and it pushes them academically. I cannot speak from experience for JH.

I am now in a position on deciding where to send my football-mad other son - part of me is saying go with RGS and the other is saying would JH be better and I do not know why. We have missed the JH Open Day so cannot really compare....
2021EnTrY

Post by 2021EnTrY »

Tinkers wrote:How easy are they to get to if you don’t drive your DS. Does one have better transport options than the other?

Worth looking at that so they can travel independently if and when the need arises.
Thanks for your reply Tinkers.

If he has to travel independently the vote goes for RGS.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now