Beaconsfield High school Vs Wycombe High school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
hello198012

Beaconsfield High school Vs Wycombe High school

Post by hello198012 »

Dear All,
My DD has passed this year's GL exams and would like to ask the forum for a comparison between Beaconsfield High school and Wycombe High school please. We visited the open evening for Becky high and open morning for Wycombe High. My DD personally likes the Becky high (partly to do with the full house open evening in contrast to the handful of parents on the open morning)

In terms of academic expectations from the school, I believe she would be fine as she is a very able kid in general and scored very high marks in her exams.

This forum has guided me a lot in choosing RGS for my DS 2 years before and I am very grateful for your valuable inputs.

There is a thread already on this but felt it is a bit out of date and would appreciate any new parents who would like to add more to this please.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 3&start=10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
hugintheden

Re: Beaconsfield High school Vs Wycombe High school

Post by hugintheden »

I'd be interested too. WHS is the practical option for us but didn't have the best impression from the open morning. Have son at RGS which is only comparison.
panicparent

Post by panicparent »

Late reply, but for anyone who is wondering the same as OP. I have two girls in WH, one in Y3 and the other in Y9. At the time WH seemed more convenient, but as the years progressed I realised BH would have been a better option academically for the girls. I have some experience with children in Grammar schools as I also have a son in The Royal Grammar school. 1. The teachers at RGS push the pupils much harder to reach their full potential, at WH feedback is poor, even in parents' evenings, it's almost like teachers' intentions are to give positive reviews for all subjects and show pupils always in a good light, which may not be the case, would prefer constructive criticism, you only realise this after pupil has been through most of the school years. 2. The number of substitute teachers and the amount leaving their posts, I've lost count.

I have a number of friends, and relatives and belong to a large circle of parents who have children in local Grammar schools, so the above comments come from experience. But keep in mind it's also down to the individual child also, how much effort they put in.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

gosh, you sound as if you are personally not very happy with the school.
Do your girls enjoy being there and are they achieving well? preumably it’s not *that* awful or you would move them….
Given the stress of the last two years for everyone I would gently suggest that there is higher turnover of teachers for a variety of reasons and this is probably not confined to your school alone!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now