Aylesbury grammar school vs Royal latin school

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tech607

Aylesbury grammar school vs Royal latin school

Post by tech607 »

Dear All
DS qualified..many thanks for all the help.

We need guidance on which is these schools would be a better option. We are caught between Aylesbury Boys & Royal Latin but would appreciate any inputs you can offer that can help us choose the school.

My son is interested in science. and we are mainly looking at the following statistics to make the decision
1) Teaching quality
2) Number of pupils who got into Oxbridge
3) Attention to kids

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you
scary mum

Re: Aylesbury grammar school vs Royal latin school

Post by scary mum »

To be honest, I wouldn't make your choice based on Oxbridge entry, I don't think it tells you much about the school & could change enormously in the next 7 years.
What sort of things is your son interested it? Which clubs, sports etc? These are the things that will make his time at school memorable & enjoyable.
The differences between the outcome for an individual child is unlikely to be any different between 2 good schools. There will be good & not so good teachers at both schools, and they will.also change over the 7 years.
Have you been able to visit either of them? If so, which did you get a better feeling about?
Which is easiest to get to independently - remember after school clubs, sports fixtures, parents evenings etc. Even detentions!
scary mum
Deb70

Post by Deb70 »

Teaching quality and "attention to kids"will be excellent at both schools. Oxbridge statistics aren't the best parameter to base your decision on! Distance to school, extra curricular activities, GCSE options etc are better things to consider.
tech607

Post by tech607 »

Thank you, scary mum and Deb70..
My son is not too sporty and he is mainly into academics.
He used to play football but now he spends a lot of time with his computers reading science and trying some experiments.

We are looking for a school with a good laboratory, funding and less staff movement.