Buckinghamshire allocations March 1st 2022

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
deeps79

Re: Buckinghamshire allocations March 1st 2022

Post by deeps79 »

scary mum wrote:The second round allocations are now on the Bucks website here.
All the grammar schools appear to have made further offers, which is quite unusual.
Thanks for update @scary mum. Our DC also made it after today's allocation in the preferred school.

Thank you all :)
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Great news :)
scary mum
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Excellent news! :D :D
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Many congratulations, deeps! :D
Etienne
Piya

Post by Piya »

I really don't understand why allocation cannot factor in ensuring that after the first round allocations, pupils without any of their preferences are prioritized for a place over those pupils who have already secured at least one of their preferences. We have had numerous children in my child's school who were offered their third preference, then their second and then finally their first! while we received none of our preferences. We have just been left on waiting lists (and going through appeals).
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Piya wrote:I really don't understand why allocation cannot factor in ensuring that after the first round allocations, pupils without any of their preferences are prioritized for a place over those pupils who have already secured at least one of their preferences. We have had numerous children in my child's school who were offered their third preference, then their second and then finally their first! while we received none of our preferences. We have just been left on waiting lists (and going through appeals).
Because by law they have to follow the same admissions criteria as they do for the initial round of allocations, so they must be higher up the waiting lists than you are.

When you say you haven't been offered any of your preferences, do you mean you have no school at all? Do you know where you are on the waiting lists? Are you a long way away from the schools?
scary mum
Piya

Post by Piya »

scary mum wrote:
Piya wrote:I really don't understand why allocation cannot factor in ensuring that after the first round allocations, pupils without any of their preferences are prioritized for a place over those pupils who have already secured at least one of their preferences. We have had numerous children in my child's school who were offered their third preference, then their second and then finally their first! while we received none of our preferences. We have just been left on waiting lists (and going through appeals).
Because by law they have to follow the same admissions criteria as they do for the initial round of allocations, so they must be higher up the waiting lists than you are.

When you say you haven't been offered any of your preferences, do you mean you have no school at all? Do you know where you are on the waiting lists? Are you a long way away from the schools?

we were offered a local secondary in slough which was not one of our preferences - we've turned it down as it's simply not an option to send her to a school which we know has many issues.
the 3 bucks schools we are 3.7 miles, 6.6 miles and 11 miles away from.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Ah, I think we probably said to you at the time, if you turn down an offered place the local authority considers that it has done its job & doesn't have to offer you another school.
Hopefully one of the appeals/waiting lists will come good for you.
From your appeals thread:
Firstly accept the school you were allocated (presumably you listed one you were guaranteed to get?) otherwise you risk not having a school at all.
scary mum
Piya

Post by Piya »

scary mum wrote:Ah, I think we probably said to you at the time, if you turn down an offered place the local authority considers that it has done its job & doesn't have to offer you another school.
Hopefully one of the appeals/waiting lists will come good for you.
From your appeals thread:
Firstly accept the school you were allocated (presumably you listed one you were guaranteed to get?) otherwise you risk not having a school at all.

yes, sadly every school has its own unique admissions rules, no consistency between schools, and other than the local one that was unsuitable all the rest were always going to be a gamble.
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Have you got a back up plan if your appeal is not successful? Will you home school? Have you got a private place?

If not, you should speak to your local authority about whether there are any schools with vacancies that you can apply to now as a late applicant. They might not be your ideal choice but at the moment it sounds as though you are likely to be without a place at all in September.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now