Crossword type questions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
andyb

Crossword type questions

Post by andyb »

My son came home from school yesterday and said they had been looking at the sort of questions that might come up in the 11+ and how to tackle them. Although he said the teacher kept emphasising that it was "nothing to do with the 11+" :?

One of the questions he said was set out like a crossword with one word already filled in and they had to fit the remaining words into the spaces on the grid - they were given the words, didn't have to solve clues. I have not seen this type of question on any of the papers we've been going through and wonder if this is new or whether the teacher is just trying to get them to apply logic without actually tutoring them for 11+ (he is at a state primary).

Another of the questions was a code type but he said it was a mixture of letters and numbers. I have seen letter codes and I have seen questions where each letter represents a number in the "complete the sum" type but I have not come across what he is describing.

What do you think? Was it just an ordinary lesson in verbal reasoning/logic that may help them solve 11+ questions or is the format of the tests changing?
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

I have seen these types of questions in the Bond books - (which I bought for DS1 before I found this site)

I wonder if the teacher is using Bond books or something like it just to familiarise them... and I hope it doesn't mean the question types are changing!

If you don't mind me asking is this a state or independent school?
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

My son (in Y5) also recently sat a practice verbal reasoning test in a Bucks state primary. He said it was different to the CAT test and that it did have a crossword type/missing word question on it. I too wondered what it was.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi All

The 21 question types for the Bucks paper have remained unchanged for years.

I suspect that the teachers are just using these materials (they do sound like Bond papers) to develop the kids' problem solving skills.

The reason that the teacher is emphasising that this is not 11+ practice is because Bucks Heads have to sign a form to state that the official familiarisation process has been carried out, but that no other coaching has taken place at school.

The idea may well be that, if they don't use materials that mirror the actual 11+ question types, they cannot be accused of "coaching" as such.

The kids should treat them as a bit of fun, and no more.

Sally-Anne
andyb

Post by andyb »

Thanks Sally-Ann that's the answer I was hoping for!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear All

As Sally-Anne has stated, nothing to worry about.

In fact some schools have already started the official familiarisation process, I showed my copy to my children and yes word for word they are the same!

The question types that Andy mentions can be found in the Susan Daughtrey books 1-7 [you know, the ones that are NOT relevant to Bucks or any other area using NFER 21 types!]

Some schools use optional NFER vr tests in year 3,4 and 5, although they are published by NFER, they are not the classic 21 types. They use the grid and codes with mixtures of letters and numbers amongst others. These must not be confused with the familiarisation process for the 11 plus.

Patricia
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

My dd's school has just started the Familiarisation papers too. Although it would seem they are only doing a few questions and on adhoc days. I haveto say I am glad I am not relying on this to help my dd.

We have aslo been told that when they are given the three practise tests that the school will not mark them instead they will be sent home for us to do it.

I am definitely getting the feeling that our primary school is not supportive fo the 11+

Mel
andyb

Post by andyb »

I don't think ds's school has started the familiarization process as such - just this one off lesson. There is a meeting for parents next week to go through "secondary school transfer". I would not expect the children to do the practice papers before then.

I think the Y5 teachers have already got quite firm ideas about who will and who won't pass. My son came home in tears the other day because he'd done something silly (what 9 year old doesn't?) and the teacher said "and you want to go to grammar school" in a derogatory tone. Fortunately I was able to turn my son's upset into a "we'll show him" but what a thoughtless and unkind thing to say to a child, it made me upset when he told me :cry: .

Anyway - must go and collect the cherubs now!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Andy

I would complain to the Head about that comment. It is totally and utterly unacceptable.

A teacher at my DS's school said something similar to a child last year and there was absolute uproar about it. The Head came down hard on all the staff as a result. Hopefully yours will do the same.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now