Admission to Bucks grammer school but not living in bucks!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kentishdad

Admission to Bucks grammer school but not living in bucks!!

Post by kentishdad »

Hi there everyone...My son is presently going to year 5 and we live in Kent at the mo...However due to job relocation we would need to move to Bucks in a year to two years ..
My questions are what are the chances of him getting into a Bucks grammer if he takes the 11+ whilst living in Kent i.e out of catchment(thinking of Royal Latin/Aylesbury)...We are told he is own 'track' for a grammer school here in Kent( bearing in mind that there are more grammers in Kent than in Bucks I do not think this may be necessarily so in Bucks).
Secondly when we do eventually get to Bucks it may well be MK .. I understand MK is not in the catchment area of the grammer school of Bucks( as they have there own LEA) although I am aware that quite a 'few 'children who live in MK attend the Royal Latin or should we just head for the villages in Bucks that are in the catchment area for the Latin. Thirdly if we do move next summer I am a bit worried that a new school may well disrupt his 'fragile'frame of mind in preparation for the test in October 2009....
Help!!!! :?

Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You need to have an address in Bucks by a certain date to be allocated a place at a popular Grammar school.

RLS is popular and I would suggest you move to the catchment area to be sure of a place (assuming aualification) - or to the west of MK as places are allocated on distance from the school. Look carefully at alternatives though in case ...

In Aylesbury there are also two GS - you would stand a good chance of a GS place at Sir Henry Floyd at the moment - although its recent good OfSTED has made it increasingly popular.

Bucks selects the top 30% or so - VR tests - read the stickies for advice -

Bucks CC also have a very helpful website:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... =657970117

with a postcode checker.

You can also find out how far out schoools allocated places in 2008 but there's no guarantee it'll be the same. There's a sticky with historic data by Sally-Anne

You are welcome to PM me.
kentishdad

Post by kentishdad »

Thanks Guest 55 for the speedy reply...Looking at the catchment map for RLS it extends to West MK(Tattenhoe?sp) However somewhere like Shenley which is also West MK does not make the Catchement area...So, I presume if one were to live in Shenley then RLS would be out of our reach!! If we move next summer to Bucks would the change of routine.new or no friends etc affect his performance for the test which would be just round the corner!!
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

I believe (although am open to offers :lol: ) that this year, for the first time, no children (unless they had siblings at the school) were allocated RLS if they lived out of catchment i.e. MK in the first round of allocations, some may have got lucky later in the year (May/June) but it was an unknown quantity waiting.

I think our village in Bucks is the furthest away from RLS (and the nearest to MK) so if they extended the catchment/distance from the RLS any further it would open up the school to lots of eligible MK kids.

I know of quite a few MK children who passed the 11+ who were not allocated a place at RLS but who later took up a place at one of the three Aylesbury grammars and who are bussed in and out of Aylesbury via the A421.

So, if you are adamant you want your son to attend RLS I would make sure you live in Bucks and within say 8-9 miles of the school, if you are happy for them to attend the equally good (or better) Aylesbury grammars and want to live in MK then I would live within walking distance of the A421 to easily catch the school bus.

Good luck, I am sure you are aware that the Kent 11+ is different from the Bucks one, but plenty of help on this site which ever direction you turn.

Ambridge x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hi kentishdad,

You will also need to consider which Primary schools would have a place. There is an advantage to doing the practice papers in a Bucks Primary and I think most schools do them in September as the tests are early October.

Bucks helpfully publish the number of pupils on roll in each school but that is off-line at present.

I think your child would settle in OK - you could always try to move around Easter so there is a longer settling in time.
kentishdad

Post by kentishdad »

Thanks Ambridge for the info...I guess we might have to make the move sooner rather than later to settle him down and read up on the test as my 'footy mad son' thinks he is the 'Ronaldo' of his small village school... which I am sure is an easy feat as there not many boys in the school anyway!!!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If you can get to the Open evenings this year it might help you decide if RLS is really the school you want.

Look at AGS (boys only) and Sir Henry Floyd (more rounded possiblly?) - if your child does not get the 121 think about which school is the alternative. Waddesdon is highly regarded but you would need to live in catchment.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now