RGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mel

RGS

Post by mel »

I wonder if anyone can shed any light on what I was told on Friday night!

A friend who I went out with said her friend had been phoned up by their primary school head teacher a week or so ago. Her son left in July and was due to start at a local sec school...............The reason?

The RGS have not filled their quota of boys for Year 7, and so they were phoning certain schools asking for the Head to recommend anyone who should have passed. These boys then had to go and sit some tests at the RGS. Those who passed were then offered places to start a few days later!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My friend's friend's son did the tests and is now happily ensconced at the RGS, with the local secondary school uniform sitting in a bag waiting to go back to the shop!!!!

Has this happened to anyone else? Or have I opened a can of worms??

Mel (one of the other ones!!)
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel

Yes, apparently RGS and John Hampden Grammar are under subscribed, for year 7

However I was certainly NOT aware that RGS were only ringing up 'certain' primaries. Is your friends friend sure of this procedure taken by RGS?

Patricia
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Good grief Mel/Patricia,

That is a huge can of worms! Surely it undermines the entire 11+ process in Bucks? It suggests that RGS are simply using the 11+ as a preliminary screening test, rather than as the final arbiter of who gets in and who doesn't. What about children who narrowly missed the 11+, appealed, failed to get in on appeal ..... are they being offered places? What is the role of the LEA in this? Surely they should be providing a list of failed appeal candidates? Or is it just down to the Head's discretion who they recommend? I wonder if Etienne has any more information?

As the birth rates for the next few years for Bucks are predicted to remain similar to this year (by Bucks themselves), is this going to happen every year? Whither the 11+ then?

Are there any other foundation schools among the Bucks grammars Patricia?

Sally-Anne
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Sally-Anne

Foundation grammars are RGS and Beaconsfield High School.

It certainly does not make sense, and would appear to be 'unfair', IF RGS have used these procedures.

Etienne, where are you?

Patricia
Jed

Post by Jed »

If this account is accurate, then it certainly does seem unfair. After all, what about those children who are hoping to get a place in year 8 after sitting the 12+? Does this reduce their chances of a place even if they pass?

But we should be cautious. The story has come from 'a friend of a friend' and important information could have been left out or misrepresented in the telling.

Does anyone know RGS well enough to ask?

Jed
forest

Post by forest »

If this is true it is very worrying for pupils, parents and those schools whose heads were not asked to submit posiible candidates.

I cannot believe that the LEA would allow this.
mel

Post by mel »

Update - I bumped into a good friend today and she told me a different version but with the same ending!!

She said the boys parents had phoned up RGS a week or so ago to ask for advice on 12+.
The person at RGS asked her a few questions and then invited the boy in for an English test and a Maths test. He passed them and then started the RGS last week.

His original 11+ was 2 marks below and failed on appeal.

I will try and find out more - but as you can see two different stories but same outcome. First friend told me it was a few boys - 2nd one told me one boy - although she did say it was only as she knew this boy and there may well have been others!!

Post by Guest »

hi mel,
I just received my copy of a parents guide to secondary admissions for bucks ,
and under RGS, it stated that they offered to all applicants for 2006
entry!This certainly indicate they are under suscribed! It might be worth while for those who really want to go and failed at appeal enquiring abouth the entrance exams as they are a foundation school.

RGS

Post by Guest »

Someone I work with son failed and appealed - didn't get through on appeal but sat some tests at RGS in Aug and heard they had a place the Saturday before starting on the Tuesday. RGS intake may be affected by changes in catchment - I know they can no longer apply from Marlow this year

Post by Guest »

How did your friend find out about the tests in August?