Difficulty of practice materials

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Mel and others

This is the time for encouragement.

The children have worked hard, the mothers [and fathers in some cases] have worked hard. You need to be telling your children how well they have done, you have equipped them with all the methods and techniques, its now down to them to use that knowledge to the best of their ability.

There is very little now to do. My children are completing their last tests. I will be reinforcing my rules over the next week.

A last minute tip, my children have a little 'bible' an A4 piece of card with a few tips written on them, it is tailor made to suit the individual child, it is read before each test with mum. It can includes notes such as:

Number Series

Fibonacci [forward + and reverse - ]
Alternate
Square Numbers
Make notes

Long Codes

1] Ist check is it mirror
2] Check for difference in numbers of letters. [ this only applies if you are using my 1st and last method]

Short Codes

Can be Mirror

Hard to spot hidden 4 letter words

sate
isle
ewes
ache
veto
saga
etc etc

Letter Series

Can be alternate

Compound Words

Change the sound
If in doubt write it out!

Analogies

Opposites
Similar
Same relationship
Spelling:anagrams/homophones/reversing the letters/adding/taking away letters.

You can make these up to suit your own children. One of my children is VERY bad at NOT making notes, I have written,[ in large writing at the bottom of his card]

If I do not make notes I will probably get it wrong it will also waste my time because more often than not by trying to work it out in my head it actually slows me down...

Patricia

PS, Mel, you do not need Walsh.
andyb

Post by andyb »

DS did a couple of short papers today - no timing, no pressure - he just raced Daddy for the answer - huge confidence booster for him when he got the correct answer first (and no, it wasn't a complete fix :wink: ). He's off to the shop now to buy a donut as a reward (DS not Daddy!)
Second time round

Post by Second time round »

Dear Patricia

You mentioned that the last 2 years only 20 types have been covered - as a matter of interest was the type NOT covered one from HIKNOS?

Rose
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You guys are all totally and utterly hilarious!

Thanks so much for being here on this wonderful amazing website.

Good luck to you all for the following weeks, and please dont forget the rest of us who still have another month or two for the Slough Consortium and Tiffin exams :wink: .

Patricia I love the idea of the little cards you have. I am going to do the same. Are these all the areas you cover, or are there more?

I am so glad and so reassured that I dont NEED walsh. I was mulling over the idea of going through it section by section, but feared that ds may miss out on some SERIOUS PREPARATION if he didnt do the whole test! :roll:

Its so true that the little ones can get so demoralised if at such a late stage they tackle papers which are so hard and get low results. God bless them all for doing such all hard work, and God bless all the caring parents who are working so hard for their children.

Three Cheers For the Kids and their Parents!!!
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

HIP HIP HOORAY!!!
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Hello Patricia,

In order of difficulty, you stated:
1] SHop Bought Nfer

2] In school papers 1 and 2 are the Practice Papers by NFER which cannot be bought in the shops but are issued directly to Bucks schools for Practice under test conditions.

3] The Real thing

There is also Test A, again cannot be bought, but is set at a slightly easier level.
Where would you fit test A in all of this? Easier than shop bought or on par?
JaysDarlin

Post by JaysDarlin »

Could someone please post the link for the Tutors Short Papers mentioned in the first post? Thanks.
sensible mum

Walsh

Post by sensible mum »

Hi Patricia,
Gave my ds Walsh paper 9 yesterday for the first time. He scored 80%. After going through mistakes, felt that 3 were silly mistakes but rest of them were either real tricky to do under time pressure or he didn't knew at all few words.
A bit scared now about the real exam. Do you think we can expect similar result in the real exam.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Sensible Mum

Hence why I never give Walsh as a test. Some questions are relativley easy others are resaonably hard. So I would not worry with regard the score.

In future, just use them section at a time, discussing problem areas. Also be aware that GL assessment [nfer] do not use brackets in types G and I [ another reason for not using them as tests]

When is your child taking the test?

Patricia

Dear Jaysdarlin

Not got time to search for links at the moment, just click on e papers at the top of the page and look for material by The Tutors.

Patricia
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Sara

The Tutors short papers can be found here - they are downloadable papers only. Look for the "5 x 15 minute tests":

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/epaper ... =f&c=1&p=6

Level 1 is starter level, Level 3 is roughly equivalent to the real Bucks 11+, Level 4 is apparently "brain damage"!

Level 3 has been pretty comprehensively debugged, but the others may still have errors, as all new materials will do.

S-A
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now