2 OCTOBER - TEST 1 - PARENTS FEEDBACK ONLY!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
willow

Post by willow »

Hi all,

DD came home quite upset, she only got as far as question 66 when time was up. She found it hard and forget to use the technique we'd talked about if she was running out of time.She did very well in practice but was so nervous today her hands wouldn't stop shaking. I've told her she has another chance next week and I'm hoping her confidence isn't too badly shaken.

Kind regards to everyone

Willow
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

DD is home and said the test was OK. She personally said the numbers were harder for her and the words not bad, her friend said the opposite so its horses for courses - me thinks.

Have gone through the list of types with her to ascertain what appeared today before she forgets and we will try and concentrate on the others more in the coming days.

Andyb - Patricia will comment more, but no one will have seen this test. However, there are only so many words/sequences the test people can use so I am sure some of the same words crop up every year and our kids will have seen them if they have done a selection of test papers. DD recognised three words in one section today from an NFER test I think :D

We are almost there, roll on Wednesday....and good luck to you all - feeling quite chilled now she is home.

Ambridge x
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

DS is home. He thought test was a bit harder than practice paper but not too bad. He said he finished well within the time which is not always a good sign with him. I hope he checked it carefully.....
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

Well glad the first one's over. Son said "it was OK, quite hard but OK". His other friends said they found it "really easy". But DS said he had to think quite hard about some of the vocab ones- it's always hard when others say it's easy.

Willow, I think it's really hard when a child knows they haven't managed to finish as it knocks their confidence. Did your DD manage to put something into the answer box for the last ones? It sounds as though her nerves really took over poor thing. Just remind her that she only needs to get score 121 in one test to qualify... I know it's easy to say and I do feel for her (and for you) as I think it's really hard to have worked for so long for something and then feel that you can't show everything you can do.

I wish it was next week already as just want the whole thing over with now...
patricia

Post by patricia »

andyb wrote: a bit subdued but that could well be his and that his best friend "knew" he would pass because he'd seen half the questions already during his tutoring sessions :(
Dear Andyb

There could be 2 answers to this question.

1] The child just recognises some questions that have appeared in many tests.

2] The tutor is truly unscrupulous . This is not the first time I have heard this comment and it makes my blood boil.

Can you make discreet enquiries and PM me with the details?

With regard to the test. It was a 'standard' mixture of questions. Yes vocab presented the odd problem [to be expected!] Dont forget, they only have to pass ONE test.

Good Luck for next week.

Patricia
willow

Post by willow »

Hi Greta2,

Thankyou for your lovely message, I think i'd be going insane by now if it wasn't for this forum.

Unfortunately she didn't guess the remaining questions, nerves took over and she panicked. Your're right, it does make it very hard for the children when others say how easy it was. There's always a few like it every year. I think that made it even worse for her. But as you say she has another chance next week so fingers crossed.

Your son sounds like he did well, the fact that he pointed out he had to think hard about the vocab q's is a good sign, as obviously he did, so well done to him.

Just think, this time next week it will all be over.......!
Road Runner

Mel x

Post by Road Runner »

Hello everyone

Well DD said it was pretty hard. She felt the numbers were more challenging and the z's long winded. She too said she had to think more. She finished with only two minutes to go which tells me it was harder.

Willow I am sorry for your daughter and you but if we can all sort out what was in and what may come up next week maybe we can get her back on track for the next one.

I am so glad for this forum as I know it will help with my insanity over the next few weeks.

Whatever the case

Well Done them all.
xx
Wiki

Post by Wiki »

I just love the banana - being able to say 'eat it on the way up the school drive, remember it's your secret weapon' at least lightened the moment of leaving him!

I really appreciate the words of wisdom from all forum members, and the company at this time - can't see myself making it to rehab, although I will have the time - we don't have to practice any more if son is to be believed, they did all 21 types today!

Wiki
sarah

Post by sarah »

My son said 'The test ok, maybe got about 10 wrong' !!!!!!!!
But last year my daughter said she thought she got them all right and actually got 118.
So I will just wait and see!

She is going to sit 12+ in Feb. Oh joy.......
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

A similar verdict here from DS2 - a hard-ish paper, particularly the maths and Zs.

Poor Willow - I so feel for you and your DD. :cry:

Hopefully she will have got the nerves out of her system now. DS2 says that he will feel much happier about next week's test now.

S-A