Cohort

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
njg

Cohort

Post by njg »

Sorry if this has already been explored.
Any idea about this years cohort ie ages etc?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's fairly normal as far as I can remember - parts of the Bucks site aren't working so I can't post the link.
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

Have just seen another link saying that the number of children sitting the 11+ is much larger this year. Due to the credit crunch more private school kids and OOC kids are sitting the test than ever before. Just wondered if this is true in Bucks this year. Does anyone have access to the cohort figures for this year 11+ group in Bucks? Need something else to worry about.......
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

bucks mum1 wrote:Have just seen another link saying that the number of children sitting the 11+ is much larger this year.
Interesting. Can you point me to the link?
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... emand.html

This is the article - just wondered the effect of this on Bucks.
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Thanks. This is probably the key quote from Kent council....
Telegraph wrote:According to the council, 11,500 parents registered children to sit the 11-plus, compared to 9,500 a year earlier.
I imagine it'll be some months before Bucks reveals anything.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Bucks Mum1

DON'T PANIC! (As a famous book once advised :D )

The article you refer to is mainly hanging it's hat on the increase in the number of children sitting the Kent test this year. Various people have posted the reasons for that on the thread now.

The cohort is very stable at present in Bucks. As G55 says, the figures are not available online at present, but I have looked at them often enough to know that there isn't a blip. The next blip is all those Millennium babies. :lol:

The only number that could change this year is those opting out of testing - that is usually around 1,000 from a Bucks cohort of 8,000. Some of those are children destined for private schools, some will be moving away (service personnel in particular, from RAF Halton) and some will be settling directly for an Upper School.

Even if every one of them opted back in, there would still be very little additional pressure in the system. There were 810 out-of-county children who passed the Bucks test last year, so they will be the first to drop off the list.

Sally-Anne
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Sally-Anne,

Where did you get the 8000 figure from?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Whoops! Sorry - trying to do 3 things at once here. That was total applications for testing, and includes OoC children.

The correct numbers for 2008 were 5210 Bucks resident children who took the 11+, and 1154 who opted out. Total Bucks resident cohort was therefore 6364.

S-A
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

Thanks Sally Anne.

You have put my mind at rest.... my next child is a millennium baby but I want start to panic just yet!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now