Etienne/RGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

patricia

Etienne/RGS

Post by patricia »

Dear Etienne

Back at last!

Your comments please?

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=720

Patricia
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Dear Patricia

I'm not sure!

The RGS website appears to be a year out of date:
http://www.rgshw.com/index2.htm

ADMISSIONS POLICY SEPTEMBER 2005
Up to the end of October, first priority will be given to those on the waiting list as administered by Buckinghamshire County Council as a result of the 11+ procedure and part of the co-ordinated scheme.
A waiting list will be maintained from the end of October by the RGS until the end of the first year, ie until 31st August 2006 for admissions into Year 7 for the academic year 2005/06. If places become available during that period or for the beginning of the following academic year the school will test all those seeking admission for that year group and places allocated subject to results of this procedure as indicated below. No places will be offered unless and until the number of boys in the year has fallen below the standard admission numbers of 182 day boys.

In other words, for year 7 entry it looks on the surface as if in 2005/06 RGS took over responsibility for testing from BCC after October.

However, the Bucks Late Transfer booklet says that the BCC LT process applies from year 7 after the normal September admission date. Logically one might have expected the RGS late transfer procedure to begin at the same time.

Someone might like to contact Admissions to ask them to clarify at exactly what point they hand over testing to RGS.

There is also the issue of who can be tested via the LT procedure. BCC's view is that only children moving into the area can be considered for year 7 entry. Is RGS allowed to act differently?
Etienne
guest9999

rgs

Post by guest9999 »

Attended the open evening last night and the headmaster said that he had heard the rumours that rgs had let children in post 11 plus exams and appeals - he said he had heard the rumours were circulating on a website - must be this one. He said that yes they were 12 boys short of their quota for this year which they expected to fill in the autumn term. He said he expected that demographics for next yr entry would mean similar situation. In the pack on the admissions sheet there was a note re parents being able to go onto a waiting list with school doing the testing post the exams and the appeal process.
Etienne

RGS

Post by Etienne »

Dear Guest9999

Interesting to have some "inside" information. Thank you!

The statement on the admissions sheet ("post .....the appeal process") sounds very vague. What date does RGS have in mind, I wonder? All the "timely" 11+ appeals are heard by the end of February, but late 11+ appeals could well be taking place right up until the start of the autumn term.

So it is not clear exactly when the school takes over responsibility for testing. And when they take over, is it the Late Transfer procedure? If so, who exactly is eligible for testing for year 7 entry? (For LEA selective schools, it is clear that children who have already taken the 11+ unsuccessfully are not allowed a "second bite of the cherry" until testing for year 8 entry.)

Questions, questions ....... If I were the parent of a child who did not qualify at the last 11+ I think I would be seeking answers from Admissions and from RGS. At the moment the arrangements do not appear transparent.
Etienne