2 weeks 2 days

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

Does anyone (?S-A) know what you need to do to find out your child's raw score?

I have been thinking that it would be good to try and de-mystify the raw scores to standardised scores and would like to know how we could ask for them.

Also are we definitely allowed to have them or only in certain circumstances such as if appealing?

I am definitely feeling less and less optimistic as time goes on. DS2 told me yesterday that he wants us to open the envelope and please we will appeal if it's not good news... I think he's also feeling pretty wobbly about D-Day.

Post by 40 »

nervous here too. dd seems fine, but I also am not sure it will be good news. whatever happens we wont be alone and at least we have this site with all its good advice!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Greta
Greta2 wrote:Does anyone (?S-A) know what you need to do to find out your child's raw score?

I have been thinking that it would be good to try and de-mystify the raw scores to standardised scores and would like to know how we could ask for them.

Also are we definitely allowed to have them or only in certain circumstances such as if appealing?
This very helpful post from Bucks Mum1, back in September, may help:
bucks mum1 wrote:Last year 69/80 would have got a September baby a pass. Somebody got their marks under freedom of information and just got 121 with that score and a September birthday - although I know it can change from year to year.
Although the standardisation changes from year to year, depending on the relative age of the cohort, I doubt that there would be more than a 1 point variation.

An FOI request would be the way to go, and you would be given the scores regardless of whether you were appealing. Do bear in mind though that appeal panels, in particular the LEA reps, talk the language of standardised scores, and it probably wouldn't cut much ice to quote raw scores.

Best wishes
Sally-Anne
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

Thanks Sally-Anne - ok so a letter to admissions quoting the FOI I guess. I thought that the FOI was only for public information though and that it would be DP for an individual? not sure of my facts here though.

Yes I can see that an appeal panel wouldn't really be interested in raw scores, afterall the standardised scores are what counts.

I do feel however it would be good to gradually build up an accurane idea of what scores are actually needed year on year. I guess whether I actually get around to writing to request it will probably depend on how I feel after Friday - for me this will (hopefully) be the last time, but I think that it may be useful for future parents - and having spent 3 years now getting my head around the standardisation process I think I would like to know! I might even ask for DS1's at the same time....I wonder if they keep them that long.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

One year's standardisation will not help in another year - every year is re-calculated according to the children who sit the test.

It might help a bit BUT it could also mislead -
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

One day I will get it right - this has turned into a complete mental block for me over the years for some reason!

It is indeed the Data Protection Act that you need to quote.

S-A
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Let's all avoid talking about the appeal route - it is deeply unpleasant and is to be avoided at all costs :twisted: - moving swiftly on....

From information given by experienced tutors on this site, we all know that talking generally, raw scores of 68/69 out of 80 in a Bucks VR paper achieves a standardised score of 121 (a pass) - yes, if you are a September child that is the minimum you can score to pass and if you are an August child you can probably get 65/66 out of 80 and pass - but any parent now thinking about preparing their Yr 5 child for the October 09 11+ should be aiming for their child, by September, prior to the test, to be getting 69 out of 80 on practice VR tests to feel confident about passing.

How they transfer raw scores into standardised scores every year and get just the right number of pupils to fill the spaces doesn't bear thinking about and I am sure we will never truly find out. :roll:

Have our children managed it??? 6 more days and we will find out!

Ambridge x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

My DH went to visit his mother today, and came back with this WWII poster.

I will frame it tomorrow and put it in a prominent position!
[color=#FFFFFF][size=50]http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk[/size][/color]
Glos_Mum

Post by Glos_Mum »

Just popping over from the Gloucestershire forum, to say that we are also waiting for results on the same day. We have a letter per school (in our case, four!).

My DS wants to open the envelopes himself. I will let him, since he's worked so hard and deserves to make that decision. I do worry though, that he might be met with a lot of dissapointing news - so the back-up plan is - if he first letter brings bad news then Mum opens the rest!

Good luck to you all!
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

Nice of you to swoop in Glos Mum – it sounds like it’s going to be busy on here on Friday.

4 letters! Why four? That’s unreal. :lol:

When I peep at other areas it makes me feel we get away with it relatively easily in Bucks:

- The same type of paper with 2 chances so to speak as DC only has to qualify in one.
- We know the format and the likely level needed to qualify
- it’s an opt-out system so none of the pressure of other people thinking you are mad to let your child try;
- Results within 6 weeks
- and dare I say it a pretty together LEA with lots of info on their website.

I just wish I couldn’t stop thinking about Friday! I think I need one of Sally-Anne's posters....
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now