Goint to Sir Henry Floyd from Milton Keynes

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rachelmary

Goint to Sir Henry Floyd from Milton Keynes

Post by rachelmary »

Hi there

I would be really interested to hear from anyone whose child goes to sir henry floyd travelling from Milton Keynes? We are awaiting 11plus results and have put Royal Latin as first choice due to distance. We do realise that we may not get in there (assuming he has passed) so we have also looked at the Floyd and really like it - its just that my son is worried about the impact of the long day, bus ride etc plus homework on top.

I have spoken with another parent whose child is enjoying it very much but just wanted to hear of anyone elses experiences?

We are in a dilema about whether to put HF second and then MK school third or other way round ( I think it should be second but as I said my son is concerned) It would be good to be able to reassure him about his choice.

thank you so much
Mum of 3
Ambridge

Post by Ambridge »

Find out the bus routes to Henry Floyd around your way. If your son can walk to a Floyd bus stop, I would say it was fine, if he can't and you have to take him in the car, I would say think again.

Also check that he is able to pick up a bus that takes him to SHF gates and not just to Aylesbury bus station (with kids from the boys grammar and girls grammar) as that means another walk the other end - its not far but when they are small and have bags etc. it all becomes a bit of an effort.

The only other factor is, from Stony Stratford, if your son gets involved with after school activities it is one horrible journey to go and pick him up at 4.30-5 in the Aylesbury traffic.

Does Stony come under Bucks or MK - what MK school are you thinking of? PM me if its easier.

Regards

Ambridge x
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Good points from Ambridge - how close are you to a bus stop? The bus station is being developed so there will be an even easy route to the school - it's no more than 5 minutes.

There will be quite a few children making the journey. Lots of activities are at lunch time (they still have 60 minutes which is not common) and I understand that parents share transport if the children are in matches/going on theatre visits etc.

I would put it second - otherwise it's a wasted choice.
rachelmary

Post by rachelmary »

Thanks for your replies. I did PM you Ambridge but not sure if it worked as the message disappeared and there was nothing in my sent box - first time I have done that so not too sure!

Anyway basically we are 5 mins walk from the bus stop, direct bus to the school and so from that point of view it would be easy. I think you are right and it would be a waste not to put it second, its just so hard as there are only 3 options and we have to put them in before we know the 11plus results!

We are looking at Stantonbury Campus as our choice of MK school as they seem to be doing well (our own catchment school is in special measures). Stantonbury allow 10 per cent of out of catchment places to go to students talented in visual and performing arts which DS is so we are applying under that.

Roll on March! I shall be glad when its all sorted. We live 9.3 miles from the Royal Latin based on their criteria, usually its well within what is offered but this year it was only 8.2 miles hence the concern and consideration of Sir Henry Floyd. (Which by the way we really liked - would like to pick it up and plant it in MK!)

Thanks for listening!
Mum of 3
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have PM'd you.
rachelmary

Post by rachelmary »

thank you for the PM's I appreciate them. I hope you got my replies as I sent them but can't check if they have actually gone!
Mum of 3
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes thanks - they 'move' to your sent box when the person you have PMd has picked it up.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now