11 plus results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
lubib

11 plus results

Post by lubib »

My son got his results yesterday. He scored 127 and 123 in tests 1 and 2. So his final score is 127.

We fall into the catchment area of RGS which is a walking distance and also we are in catchment area of John Hampden.

On our CAF we put
1. RGS,
2. JH,
3. Sir William Borlases,
4. Slough Grammar
5. Herschel Grammar (Slough)
6. Holmer Green.

According to my son's teacher Bucks CC will allocate top 95% to RGS and top 90% to JH. and the teacher told us that 121 --> 90% and 131 --> 95%

But the teacher also told us that we can appeal if we don't get RGS and that the school will support our appeal. I

am looking for advise from parents who were in the same situation. What are our chances for getting into RGS? My son is very keen on going there and I felt he was a bit disappointed with his results because he didn't get 131.
While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
Greta2

Post by Greta2 »

Dear Lubib
What strange things you seem to have been told by your head!

I think that it used to be that schools allocated depending on the score and some (like the RGS) took from the top scores down so to speak but this is no longer the case. Maybe this is what your head was thinking but it is no longer the case.

If your son has reached the qualifying score of > 121 (which he has) then he will be considered for the RGS as your first preference along with everyone else who qualified, including those who qualify on appeal. The score that each child achieved makes no difference whatsoever. It is either a case of qualified or not qualified.

It will be then be a case of the order you put your preferences and the number applying who meet the admission criteria. If you look at last years number, the RGS was able to offer to all applicants who were in catchment.

So, since your son qulified, you put RGS first and you are in catchment your son has a very good chance of being offered a place at RGS.

If in doubt take a look in your admissions guide for parents - it makes it quite clear that score doesn't matter so long as it is >121.

I hope that this reassures you. Oh and well done to your son!
lubib

Post by lubib »

Thanks! this is really excellent news for me. Are last years numbers you mention published anywhere? And what is then the major factor in deciding if he goes in or not if it is not his score? Is it distance, sibling or something else?
While we try to teach our children all about life, our children teach us what life is all about.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think you should show the HT the book - it makes it quite clear it is distance via the 'normal' route [ie not as the crow flies unless it's waddesdon] to the school gates.

The 'old' system stopped FOUR years ago ....

The booklet tells you how qallocations were made and how far that stretched.

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/bcc/content/i ... =987793428

RGS:
Information on 2008 entry allocation:
All catchment boys offered, out-area siblings and some out-area boys to a distance of 11.010 miles.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Lubib

I cannot believe that Heads are still so ill-informed, and peddling all this nonsense so many years after the system changed!

You can see the allocation distances on this page, and it contains the link that you can use to check the distances as accurately as possible:

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11-plu ... rofile.php

I agree with Guest55 - for everyone's sake, please show the Head the relevant pages in the Admissions booklet!

Sally-Anne
lubib

Post by lubib »

thanks to all replies. The process is now clearer to me. What pages on the parents guide I shold show the HT?
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Page 18 would help!

Rule 1
Children in care.
Rule 2
Children living in the catchment area of the school.
Rule 3
For Year 7 admission in September 2009 - Siblings of children in Years 7 to 10 who are on the roll of the school at the time the allocations are made. For immediate casual (in-year) admission – Siblings of children in Years 7-11 at the time of admission.
Rule 4
Children who have exceptional medical or social needs supported by written evidence from a doctor, social worker, education welfare officer or other appropriate person.
Rule 5
Once the above rules have been applied, then any further places will be offered in distance order, using the distance between the family’s normal home address and the school’s nearest entrance gate, offering the closest first. We use the shortest appropriate route.

Where a school can take some, but not all, of the children who qualify under one of these rules, we will give priority to children by taking account of the next rule (or rules) in the numbered list.
For example, if all the children who qualify under Rule 1 can be offered places but there are too many children who qualify under Rule 2, we will
use Rules 3, 4 and 5 to rank all children qualifying under Rule 2 and decide who can be offered a place.
Voluntary-aided and foundation school admission rules
For each of the schools you plan to list when you make your application, you should read the school’s prospectus carefully or check their website. If the school is a foundation or voluntary-aided school, this is important
because they may use different rules to allocate their school places. They may also want you to complete a supplementary form and send extra information. On our website and at the back of this guide you can
find the supplementary forms for St Bernard’s Catholic School and Waddesdon Church of England School. These are the only schools in
Buckinghamshire that need supplementary forms to collect extra information so they can apply their admission rules.
We have included a summary of their admission rules on pages 41 to 45.
andyb

Re: 11 plus results

Post by andyb »

lubib wrote: What are our chances for getting into RGS? My son is very keen on going there and I felt he was a bit disappointed with his results because he didn't get 131.
RGS current Y7's have come from as far afield as Gerrards Cross and Denham and despite this there is still one free place (as at 21/10) - as you live so close I would say your sons place is guaranteed :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now