Out of catchment area...and Couty!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hi Frenchmaster

11+ tuition usually starts in the January of Year 5 - some tutors do start earlier, and the best tutors do get booked up a long way ahead.

Be extremely careful about the alternative schools on offer for Chesham. The Upper Schools available are the Misbourne, the Amersham School and Chesham Park. The first two are quite popular, and although Chesham children do get in, there is no guarantee, because only Chesham Park is the catchment school. (Chesham Park always has plenty of spaces, and I will leave it at that ...)

Some people opt for middle and then senior schools in Herts - Tring School is popular, and Ashlyns was briefly in vogue, but has had it's troubles lately. Otherwise there is Clement Danes at Chorleywood, but that is becoming increasingly difficult to get in to unless you live in Herts.

Unless you do your research carefully, you could find that a house move and non-qualification for the 11+ takes you out of the frying pan and into the fire.

This link may be useful: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/11-plu ... rofile.php

Sally-Anne
zee

Post by zee »

I would second everything Sally Anne said.

Another option is to move to Amersham, where the backup/non-grammar options (Amersham or possibly Chalfont Community College) are much better than in Chesham. Of course that makes things harder in the short run if they're continuing primary in Hemel.

No easy answers, I'm afraid.
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

Or alternatively move to Chorleywood close to Clement Dane. Traditionally all children from there get into Chesham High if they pass the 11+ and if they don't Clement Dane is a very good comprehensive. Transport links from Chorleywood to Chesham are also good.
watfordmum66

Post by watfordmum66 »

I think you would need to check where you needed to live to ensure entry for Clement Dane. If you go onto the Herts section you will see that there were many who did not get offered Clement dane when they felt they would have judging on previous years ( distance criteria )
bucks mum1

Post by bucks mum1 »

You would need to be in Chorleywood itself close to the school but thought the realistic chance of having Clement Dane as a back up would be more appealing than some of the Bucks Secondary schools. But it does depend which Bucks Secondary you are in catchment for as some are good.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now