JOHN HAMPDEN GRAMMAR (High Wycombe)

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now

JOHN HAMPDEN GRAMMAR (High Wycombe)

Post by Guest »

Hi. Does anyone on this forum have a son attending John Hampden school?? I live in Bucks, however in South Bucks so it is not the catchment school (burnham grammar is catchment). I was wondering whether there was a bus or coach going there from Taplow/Burnham area?? Any views whether positive or negative about the school would be appreciated. Many thanks.
Megan

Post by Guest »

My son is 5 weeks into his first term at John Hampden and doing really well.

Having been on the school opening evening "merry-go-round" last year, Hampden was always our first choice despite being in catchment for William Borlese in Marlow. I'm more than happy we made the right decision.

I'd say my son enjoys a nice balance between work and extra curricular, which was important for us. The sport is first class with excellent facilities and the form sizes are reasonable only 24 boys in 5 forms (no doubt due to the fact the school is undersubscribed alongside many other Bucks Grammars).

We live just over the border in Berks and were fortunate (by word of mouth) to form part of a group large enough to hire a private mini-bus to take 16 boys/girls to John Hampden & Wycombe High. This wasn't in place when we decided which school, it just happened! You'd be amazed what the primary school grapevine can achieve...

Best of luck with what you decide!

Post by Guest »

Can I ask how much it costs to hire the private mini bus and which company you are using? I am thinking of trying to do the same

Post by Guest »

Does anyone know whether BCC provide travel (bus pass etc) to pupils living over 3 miles from a particular school.
MelX

JHG

Post by MelX »

Hi all

My son has also just started at JHG and he loves it. We liked it better then any school we saw and it was great because we are catchment. Having said that we are more then 3 miles away so my son gets a free bus (hope that answers guests question). He has settled in really well and even though his primary school was in Burnham( so he was the only one going to JHG) he already has made lots of friends. Compared to other Grammar schools we visited we felt JH had the best feel about it and the boys we met were so well mannered and all appeared happy and well rounded individuals which is what we want for our son. We are extremely pleased we chose JHG
:lol:

MelX
Relieveditsover!

Post by Relieveditsover! »

That's very interesting, I didn't think JHGS was catchment for Burnham, thought only Burnham Grammar was? We are very interested in it for our son should he get through the dreaded 11+! But had assumed we would be repsonsible for getting him there? As a matter of interest how does your son get there from Burnham?
many thanks

Post by Guest »

Re the cost of private mini-bus from Maidenhead to JHG - We pay the equivalent of £5.89 return trip, but we do have to commit to a whole term in advance. That cost could well vary from Burnham dependent upon the route taken of course.

Company to contact is Ambassador Coach Hire in High Wycombe.

One thing I would say, it might look expensive, however the mini-bus runs to a timetable which suits the group and my son is generally home for 4.15pm at the latest. I have heard the timings of some the public transport can be a bit hit and miss, so that wasn't an option for us trying to plan for a 9 mile journey!
Road Runner

JHG

Post by Road Runner »

Oh dear I think I confused things. We do actually live within catchment of JHG not Burnham(we moved last year). I still think you should look into it if you favour it as it was undersubsribed this year so your son could get in. As for school transport, I doubt you would be entitled to the bus. Don't know what to suggest unless you look into the other guests idea of a hired mini bus

MelX
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now