Beaconsfield boys not getting RGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
beacmum

Post by beacmum »

Hi Sally-Anne
I have been following the forums since last year and have always found your advice very helpful, but have never had to post until now!!

I did look at the website, and we are 6.8 miles out .I hope there will be the same movement in allocations this year! Trying to be positive, but not feeling it!!
Y

Post by Y »

This is weird. I've just checked the mileages for two Beaconsfield boys who have both been allocated places at RGS, and one comes out at 5.5 miles from RGS on both Google maps and Transport Direct (quite conceivably the 5.5 miles rounded to 1dp is actually within the 5.48 mile cut off), but the other comes out at 6.3 miles on Google and 11.7 miles on the Transport Direct site. Any thoughts?
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

A sibling in Year 7 - 10 at RGS would be the answer, at a guess?
Y

Post by Y »

No - neither boy has an older brother.
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Sally-Anne wrote:Ahem! The default is actually Station/Airport! :D

Have you ever found a distance where choosing the "facility/attraction" makes any difference to the mileage Dad40? I have just tried a couple of fairly obscure searches and it hasn't changed anything ...

(My turn to be Picky! :lol: )
Oooh, get her. Handbags at dawn. :lol:

Y, That stuff about 6.3 miles on Google but 11.7 on transportdirect......that is a huge difference and suggests to me that you are not comparing like with like. Are you sure you have selected 'shortest route' in the advanced options? It can make an enormous difference.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Well, I think we can rule out any problems on the 5.5 mile case, because that could easily be down to a decimal point.

What is odd is the huge discrepancy between the Google figure and the Transport Direct figure. I would try the AA site to see what it comes up with, just to get a third point of reference.

Beacmum

As there only has to be movement of 1.3 miles, I would certainly delay buying your school uniform for a while yet. :D

The crucial thing will be where in Beaconsfield the line is currently drawn. When a line falls in the middle of a built-up area, there can be an awful lot of people in the queue ahead of you. If it falls towards the eastern side of Beaconsfield at present, then obviously your chances are greater, because it is approaching rural areas with lower population density.

Sally-Anne
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I hear that Gerrards Cross boys are being offered all sorts of options none of which they named!
beacmum

Post by beacmum »

How will I find out where the line in Beac is drawn?? (Mad visions come to mind of a chalk line across the road with RGS on one side and NO on the other!!! :) )
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

After the date for accepting offers you should be able to find out from Admissions where you are on the waiting list.
Dad40

Post by Dad40 »

Guest55 wrote:I hear that Gerrards Cross boys are being offered all sorts of options none of which they named!
Oh dear! Another GX uprising in the offing, I wonder.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now