To Patricia

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kerrym

To Patricia

Post by kerrym »

Patricia,
Many thanks for your very quick response and details of the publishers for the Bucks test. As soon as I'd posted my question, I realised I should have put it on the Bucks site!

I thought my son had scored highly, but didnt know if there was any relation to the '121' score in the 11+. I was surprised, particularly in the VR test as he does have a problem accessing vocabulary and we spend a lot of time looking up new words in the dictionary. Therefore I am really pleased you are in the process of submitting to the download section, a list of vocabulary used in the verbal reasoning tests. This, I am sure, will be a huge help to many people.

Whilst writing, I noticed on a previous link you mentined that ********** had been removed from this site. Do you have any idea why? I am only interested as a friend is sending her son on one of their courses.

I have really enjoyed reading all your posts and have learned so much from you about how the Bucks system operates. I must admit I am hooked to this forum and just realised I have been sitting at this computer for the last 3 hours!

Many thanks
Kerry
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Kerry

Know what you mean by sitting at the computer for long, lengths of time, I tend to be working on the laptop for my work/tutoring and have this forum open in a separate window, just keep popping back!

The vocabulary list does not contain the actual words that crop up in the real tests only NFER know that it's just an extensive list of words that children find difficult to understand when seen out of context.

The children need to recognise words when they stand alone with no clues to the meaning, this can be achieved by reading out loud, discussing unknown words, using the flashcard system, we as parents using more vocabulary in our everyday talk and encouraging our children to use these words in the class.

I have always encouraged the use of a dictionary and thesaurus. Just recently, one of my children asked me to read a short 6 page story. by the second page I gave up, exclaiming that I didn't understand a bleep word, they took GREAT PLEASURE in informing me that the dictionary was on the BOOKSHELF !!!@@%£*&...

Patricia
Last edited by patricia on Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kerrym

Post by kerrym »

Hi Patricia,

Yes, sorry I did realise that your list won't necessarily be the actual words that crop up in the VR tests but an extensive list from which to look at will be a great help.

Would you recommend gradually working through such a list and getting your child to understand the meaning or meanings of a word? Recently I've been asking my son to give an explanation of words in his spelling lists and realise how many words he doesn't actually know the meaning of which is slightly worrying!

I've read so much this afternoon - the mind is boggling - need to get myself a glass of wine!
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Kerry

Gradually work your way through the list, if he knows the word WITHOUT ANY CLUES move on, if unsure, make up a flashcard, I introduce approx 10 words a week. It really is surprising how much our children don't know

Enjoy your wine!

Patricia
Last edited by patricia on Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
kerrym

Post by kerrym »

Hi Patricia,

The flash cards sound like a really good idea and we can do them alongside his regular daily spellings.

I hope you enjoy your 'girlie' night - My son has a friend sleeping over and they're already discussing their midnight feast!

Thanks for all your advice
Kerry

Post by Guest »

patricia wrote:Dear Kerry

Know what you mean by sitting at the computer for long, lengths of time....I tend to be working on the laptop for my work/tutoring....and have this forum open in a separate window....just keep popping back!

The vocabulary list does not contain the actual words that crop up in the real tests [ only NFER know that] its just an extensive list of words that children find difficult to understand when seen out of context.

The children need to recognize words when they stand alone with no clues to the meaning....this can be achieved by reading out loud, discussing unknown words, using the flashcard system, we as parents using more vocabulary in our everyday talk and encouraging our children to use these words in the class.

I have always encouraged the use of a dictionary and thesaurus. Just recently, one of my children asked me to read a short 6 page story......by the second page I gave up...exclaiming that I didn't understand a bleep word.....they took GREAT PLEASURE in informing me that the dictionary was on the BOOKSHELF !!!@@%£*&...

Patricia
Beth

Post by Beth »

Patricia, are the 'revision practice' verbal reasoning free downloads on this site of comparable difficulty to the real NFER test? Over the past few days I've given a few of them to my 8 year old (Yr 4) as 'quizzes' and she's getting 80-100%. Which makes me think they must be easier than the real thing!
Beth

Post by Beth »

Sorry Patricia-forgot to ask in my post above...I've read your suggested timetable for preparing for the 11 plus, but in my area our grammar tests in NVR aswell as VR. Does that mean that we'll need to start earlier, as we've effectively got twice as much to cover? Would welcome your thoughts.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Beth

What part of the country are you from?

Yes you may have to start a tad earlier, if you have to also teach NVR, not an expert on this [ still learning!]

Patricia
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Having had the experience of Bucks and Slough (VR,NVR,Maths), I think that the VR standard in Slough is fairly similar the one in Bucks (may be just a bit lower), so overall, there is more work to do with several subjetcs.
However I don't think that NVR requires as much practice as VR because there are less question types and the skills they require overlap. It is just a personal opinion, and you may want to visit the NVR forum to get advice with it.