bucks exam 06

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now

bucks exam 06

Post by Guest »

You lucky,lucky people. I have read with envy your posts re the Bucks exam. I live in Lincolnshire and we like you used to take 2 vr papers. In its infinite wisdom the consortium of Lincolnshire Grammar Schools decided to change the system to 1 vr and 1 non-vr. However, we were only told of this in April, and consequently many of those who were expected to pass did not (my own child included)- they had so little time to familiarise themselves with the new format which also involved taking one section at a time with short breaks in between. The NFER practice papers had a different number of questions and a different number of sections to that which the children sat ! The result is that the grammar school student profile will be changed forever. They effectively disbarred all the borderlines in one go (those who with what should have been at least 12 months notice may have been successful).
We are considering an appeal as she passed the vr paper easily but like all the borderlines in her school failed the non vr.
As a family we are devastated and are facing crippling financial burdens because the state alternative to our local grammar is akin to a zoo.

Please take this as a timely warning . DO NOT ALLOW YOUR GRAMMARS TO RUIN YOUR CHILD'S SECONDARY EDUCATION BY MEDDLING WITH YOUR SYSTEM-IF IT AIN'T BROKE, DON'T LET THEM TRY AND FIX IT.

Good luck Bucks parents and students. I truly am envious of your situation

JM
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

Dear JM,

I do unerstand your disapointment, but would like you to explain how the introduction of NVR can remove all bordeline children.
Bordeline children are those who score just above or below the pass mark. There has to be bordeline children.
May be some kids who were expected to pass didn't, but others will have passed instead.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

Hello JM

I am sorry that you have had so much disruption. However, for us the Lincs exams would be a great improvement. My son is first class at non-VR (and at all the academic subjects tested elsewhere), but was a borderline fail at VR. With the two papers we would have been in a much stronger position at appeal.

Bucks is now (I believe) the only County to depend solely on VR as the admission criterion for Grammar. It begs the question as to why everyone else feels it is inadequate.

I wish you luck with an appeal - you have nothing to lose by appealing, but don't get your daughter's hopes up. Do make sure that you read the many useful posts on appeals, especially those by Etienne.

Sally-Anne

Post by Guest »

Catherine wrote:Dear JM,

I do unerstand your disapointment, but would like you to explain how the introduction of NVR can remove all bordeline children.
Bordeline children are those who score just above or below the pass mark. There has to be bordeline children.
May be some kids who were expected to pass didn't, but others will have passed instead.
thanks for your post.when I first heard the results, I thought like you. However, at my daughter's primary, ( 96 children in her year group) 2 passed who weren't expected but 11 failed who were thought capable.
Catherine

Post by Catherine »

I understand JM, but if some kids failed, others must have passed. I can't see how the introduction of NVR could advantage brighter chldren, who would have passed anyway, and if they hadn't passed, they should have because they are brighter.

As Sally-Anne says, NVR requires different skills to VR, and having a mix VR / NVR seems fairer.

I think that neither VR and NVR are a fair way of implementing selection anyway because they are not taught in schools, and therefore they are only accessible to children whose parents can afford tutors, or are able to tutor themselves, and are clued up about the system.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now