Torbay

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Tracyhf1

Torbay

Post by Tracyhf1 »

Less than two weeks until the first exam, and I am terrified for my daughter! I am doing a brilliant job of not showing it in front of her but I feel sick at the thought of her going in, finding it difficult, and coming out in tears. The whole stress of putting her in for it is really weighing me down, she seems fine thank God, because if she felt anything like me I think I would have withdrawn her from the whole thing.
Can I ask if there is anyone else on here who has applied to the Torbay Grammars this year, if so have you received any information from them about the exam days? I sent off my CAF to my LEA, and the registration form to the school, and I thought that maybe I would have had a letter about the days...? I will email the school directly if I don't hear anything by about Thurs, but I thought I would ask here first.
trembling in torbay

Post by trembling in torbay »

Hi Tracy

Have looked at this site but never replied - but just to reassure you, its not only you who is feeling the pressure.

As its only 2 days to go now I couldn't sleep on Mon or Tues nt and have found it really tough.

DS seems to be OK and doing well on past papers but we will have to wait and see what happens on the day,

Fingers crossed. Is she applying for the Torquay Girls or Churston? or both. Applying for Boys Grammar and Churston for DS.

Good luck!
Milla

Post by Milla »

Just coming in from Glos to give some reassurance really in this antsy time. I really do think that now is the worst of it (well, apart from Envelope Time) but these last few days before the test... You're anxious, you're obsessed, you had no idea imagining a test you'll never sit could occupy so much of your time. You're powerless, you're hoping for the best, knocking yourself for hubristic thoughts, dreading the worst, tearful at the thought of "their" possible "failure," trying not to let it show, etc etc etc.

This time next week you will be feeling so much better, honest! - even if (and I don't know the Devon regime) your child has other tests to sit, once the back is broken and the beast faced it all becomes a little more manageable and you feel less helpless.

Trust your children. You know that they've worked hard for this :shock: and are ready. Remember, they are up against other CHILDREN, not maddies like us, nor rocket scientists.

After the event - easier said than done - but try to relax. Factor in a treat. I warned mine I'd bombard him for a bit and then go easy. To be fair to him, he volunteered information (a real first!) and since then I've let go. Well, mainly.

One thing, do be prepared for a sort of sense of disenchantment. Everything is so geared towards The Day that you just cannot see beyond it. I was terribly deflated, not having anticipated such a massive sense of anti-climax. Luckily we had a lot planned for the rest of the weekend, but it was still something I hadn't expected and I felt whiny and low which was horrid.

There's really nothing you can do now except try to chill.

And all the best!!! Come back and let us know how you got on. Er, when I say you, I mean them. :oops:
trembling in torbay

Hi Milla

Thanks you kind and wise words! You must have been a fly on the wall in our house. On Tues after DS last session with this tutor, I couldn't stop crying - but with happiness as well as apprehension. Tutor said some lovely things about DS - you always think you have a clever child (but don't all parents think that!) but to hear things from a tutor who has seen so many children over his years (aged around 65/70!) - you start to believe a bit more.

DS did another VR test last night at got 94% and we are going to do some final revision on creative writing tonight and then think that will be it - think tomorrow we won't do anything else! Just a quiet, early night for us all.

Have planned a few things for Sat afternoon - either swimming, ice cream parlour or the theatre - haven't decided as yet. Also bought some little treats for him too.

Saturday's is the first one of 2 weeks so we have it all do to next week as well - VR and maths then. But like you said, think we just need to get over the first test.

How do you not sure your emotions when you drop child off at the school for the tests??

Thanks again
Milla

Post by Milla »

we just chatted about the up-coming X Factor that evening, but then we're a bit low rent!
bec

Post by bec »

Hi :D

This time last year my DS was about to take the exam for TBGS, so know how you're feeling!!!!
Chilled out the night before, bought him a little good luck charm (silver guitar watch thingy- well silver plated!!!) this went with him in his pocket on both Saturdays!!
Ready Brek for breakfast on the morning, drove to the school rammed a banana down his throat just before he walked in the gates.
The first saturday was def the worst, but he came out smiling, I assumed this was because he'd done well.........it was to do with the football match that had been aranged in between the English & VR exams...his team had won that :lol:

Anyway good luck!

:D
trembling in torbay

Thanks Milla and Bec for kind advice.

Like the idea of the good luch charm. His tutor gave him a little squirrel keyring from the local childrens hospice so I think that would be nice to keep in his pocket.

Keeping my fingers crossed!
Milla

Post by Milla »

my boy had a rather large (and, frankly, nasty) toy from nintendo called a pikmin, "free," stuffed into his pocket. Kept waiting for it to be confiscated. Actually that was the least of my worries, looked like a goitre. Not nice.
Tracyhf1

Post by Tracyhf1 »

Well... we just applied for Churston. Didn't apply for the Torquay ones as we are looking at property Brixham way, and I didn't want my daughter to have a long traffic filled journey every day.
I looked at both, seems they are pretty evenly matched, the Torquay ones have slightly better results I think. It will be interesting to see how the parents who have put their children in for both end up falling... i.e. which school is preferred.
I dropped my daughter off fine, got in the car and cried my eyes out. She came out happy and said she was really pleased with how she had done. THEN let slip that during the comprehension she had decided that she needed the toilet towards the end of the test, had to go, and therefore didnt get chance to finish it! Apparently 2 questions missed out because she needed the loo! Eeeeeek. I am past worrying now though.
VR and Maths next week and then I shall forget it all until March!
trembling in torbay

Hi Tracy

DS applied for TBGS and Churston as 2nd choice - due to distance as we leave in Torquay. Liked both schools so we will just have to see what happens on 1 March.

DS seemed to be Ok - finished the 1st VR in time and the english also - seemed pretty confident on the comprehension. Just 2nd VR and maths to go on Saturday.

Felt all OK from Sat PM onwards but starting to get anxious again after he did a maths paper today and got 76% (he normally gets around 85%). But they only need 50% to pass. Think I am being very hard on him as I am a perfectionist and want him to get 100%!

Well just have to keep my fingers crossed (and toes!).
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now