Last years past mark

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
scatty moo

Last years past mark

Post by scatty moo »

Last years marks needed were 250 for DHS,and 255 for PHS taken from the 2 best scores reached in the VR.What kind of percentage in the practice papers should you be reaching? Someone said you needed approx 90% to get in last year,does this sound right? For the lowest score this seems really high ,I know a child who started at PHS this september and only just managed a pass in last years mock test at DHSB.Trying to equate standerdised scores to percentage is very confusing combined with the fact that the maths paper has been introduced this year and I read somewhere that the VR and the maths are weighted differently is completley confusing me and stressing me out. :cry: :cry: :cry:
Mad Mum

Post by Mad Mum »

Hi Scatty Moo, this is all too confusing! How on earth is a humble secondary modern school educated parent supposed to work all these scores out?!! It seems to me that trying to work out scores is all a bit pointless. Im just going by the scores my daughter is achieving in her test papers etc. If she gets over 70% Im happy - I know she'll never be top of the pile as far as results go but as long as she gets through and passes I don't care if she got 100% or the bare minimum!!

I must say though it was interesting to see that PHS required higher marks to get a place and this does bear out something my daughter's tutor said regarding the fact that First Choices for PHSG and DHSG seem to swing to and fro each year according to which school is seen to be the 'easiest' to get into.
scatty moo

Post by scatty moo »

Hi Mad Mum,perhaps I am worrying over nothing,it is not so much about understanding standerdised scores as knowing what kind of scores are needed to get in as I totally agree that as long as they gain a place the score itself is irrelevant, and if you think 70% is OK that makes me feel a whole lot happier as we don't have a tutor I only have word of mouth to rely on.

Hope things are going OK and your daughter is feeling happier.

Also it has been the last 2 years that PHSG has needed the higher score.

Post by Guest »

Scatty Moo, I couldn't comment on whether 70% is 'good enough' to pass but my daughter's tutor doesn't seem worried about her scores in the tests she has been doing so I have to remain confident in her judgement. I do sometimes feel alarmed when she tells me she got 65% or something like that but until her tutor starts worrying then I feel I shouldn't. (Even though I'm stressing inside!) Its so hard not to transfer your worries onto your child and there's a very fine line between encouraging and nagging isn't there?

Really surprised about the PHSG scores - I wish I knew someone who could give me all the inside information its like getting blood out of a stone finding out the real facts!