Torquay Boys

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ginger

Torquay Boys

Post by ginger »

Can anyone help with knowledge of this school. DS passed 11plus and due to start in September but is now having major stress. Seems some kids and parents at his current school have been saying that there has been cases of bullying at the school. DS is a very delicate type and I am already worried that he wont cope at a rufty tufty boys school. Am now wondering whether we have done the right thing . Any insider knowledge would be so very welcome. :roll:
stevew61

Re: Torquay Boys

Post by stevew61 »

:) Hi ginger,

Welcome to the forum. :)

I think your question may be a general moving on to "big school" challenge rather than a problem with Torquay Boys, of which I have no knowledge.

Your DS (and family) have put the effort in to gain a place at Torquay Boys, you have to ask yourself what is the motivation and first hand knowledge of those who say there is a problem at TB?

Speaking generally I have experienced and am experiencing for the time second playground politics :( and am looking forward to a third epsiode.

Don't let the Knockers change your plan, give it your best shot. :)

steve
bec

Re: Torquay Boys

Post by bec »

Hi Ginger

DS is just finishing his first year at TBGS.......he loves it :D
He didn't know anyone when he started but actually that wasn't a bad thing. He's made lots of friends, in the first few months his friends changed quite alot but after the xmas break they all seemed to settle down and gravitate towards like minded boys.

DS is very sporty so has made friends in the rugby and football team as well as the boys in his house/class.

Re bullying, as far as I am aware this is not a big problem, yes there are occasions when they fall out, BUT the school are very very quick to jump on it and nip it in the bud... and in my opinion, anything that DS has mentioned to me seems more like thoughtlessness than bullying.

The school's pastoral care is excellent as is the buddying and split form system on a Friday- this mixes up the boys with other year groups and is another way they get to know some of the older boys.

I hope this has helped put your mind at rest a little, we've been really pleased with DS's first year, actually I don't think it could have gone any better, well other than the bus getting stuck in all the snow, and having so much sport on that some weeks there's no time for lessons....... :shock:

Bec
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now