maths 11plus

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

granny

maths 11plus

Post by granny »

My granddaughter sat the maths at PHS on Saturday - even though she finished it she found it particulary difficult as did her classmate, yet they appeared to 'sail through' the English the week before. My daughter has asked me to ask if anyone else felt the same.
totally stressed

Post by totally stressed »

Hello

Your granddaughter is very lucky,she managed to finish the exam,a lot of the girls didn't.From what has been said the exam was very tough and all the girls found it difficult.

If you read the thread 'is the girls maths easier' you will see that there seems to have been alot of guessing going on.

I agree about the maths being a lot harder than the VR,as my daughter was feeling quite confidant after last week,but now is very despondent.This suprises me as she is quite good at maths.

I would tell your granddaughter the same as I am telling my daughter that just because they found it hard it doesn't mean that they haven't done well.

I hope this makes her feel better :P :P
itsme

Maths exam

Post by itsme »

Has anyone got any feedback about Saturday's exam? I have heard that the last 13 or so questions or so were virtually impossible!? My daughter was tutored using Nfer papers and we were under the impression that the real thing would also be Nfer and it seems that they were not. :cry: :oops:

Post by Guest »

Hello 'itsme'
I spoke with my daughter's tutor tonight and she said the general feedback she had got was that the maths was very difficult. She said one of the girls she teaches 'excels at maths' and she found it hard so the general concensus is it must have been. It was a NFER test paper (R) which is a special type used just for exams as opposed to the shop bought ones and one that hasn't 'done the rounds'! I don't know about the questions at the end but I know my daughter was tutored in all aspects of types of questions (mainly Athey) as opposed to just concenctrating on NFER which we left until quite late to do.
However, just because she had been tutored in all aspects doesn't necessarily go hand in hand with applying it to the answer sheet!
As I wasn't there and she isn't very forthcoming in talking about it I think we just have to keep picking over the few facts we have. Take comfort in the fact there are HUNDREDS of other parents going through the same, maybe they could share some feedback....(please) :)
[/quote]
Lowen

Maths 11+

Post by Lowen »

My son took the maths and verbal reasoning at DHSB on Saturday and although he is really good at maths he too found the exam tricky. He said that the questions were hard and required a great deal of thought in some cases. We told him that if he found it hard so did many others so not to worry. All you can ask is that they do their best and we are exceedingly proud of him just for turning up and taking the exam. :)
Granny

PHS exams

Post by Granny »

Thanks to everyone for the feedback - helped put my daughter and grandaughter's mind to rest. A bright child, with parental support, will do well wherever they are. So for now ' sit back and smell the roses ' you all deserve it!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now