Grammar schools with dyslexia

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Flicks

Grammar schools with dyslexia

Post by Flicks »

Our primary school is wondering if our dd may be borderline dyslexic. She is in year 5, and reads very well (her reading age is 14), but her spelling is appalling and her organisation skills are bad. Other from that she is good at maths and is showing all the capability her brother did at the 11+ questions at the same age, he is happily settled in Colyton.
The school says she has a very good general knowledge, and is very intelligent.
If she is dyslexic and passed the 11+, would this be a hindrance at grammar school?
Has anyone had a similar predicament? :?
yoyo123

Re: Grammar schools with dyslexia

Post by yoyo123 »

welcome to the forum.

I don't have personal experience , but there are plenty of children at grammar schools with dyslexia and they seem to cope well. My friend's daughter wasn't diagnosed until uni and she gained a first in pharmacy. Ask the Senco at her school if they can teach her strategies to help her with her organisation. Visual timetables, colour coding double checking etc.
things like mnemonics may help her spell irregular words.

edited to add:

There is a long discussion about dyslexia and grammar school here
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 40&t=17530" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

it may be worth scrolling back through the rest of the SEN section of the forum too
Flicks

Post by Flicks »

Thanks Yoyo, it is reasuring to hear of others with dyslexia, I will read the link. :)
buzzard

Post by buzzard »

I don't have personal experience of dyslexia but if it's being suggested for your child I strongly urge you to seek a formal diagnosis. Colyton will not offer any assistance with special needs unless you have a diagnosis. Consider if the problem could be dyspraxia rather than dyslexia as her reading is fine - is she a child who has problems with sport and was late to do things like dress themselves?

As you're probably aware if you already have a child at Colyton the school does offer things like homework diaries and guidance to students generally on how to organise their time. I can't say the students take much note of it in the early years.
If your child goes to Colyton and find it a problem it is easy enough to move them somewhere else. All schools follow a similar syllabus and the accelerated learning at Colyton means that your child would have no problems with the standard at another school.

There are considerable advantages to having your children at one school so I'd suggest you let her try but seek a diagnosis before she starts.
Flicks

Post by Flicks »

Thank you Buzzard, I am at the moment seeking a formal diagnosis. I have also thought dyspraxia because she is poor at ball sports but she was quick to talk and has always spoken clearly. :?
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

dyslexia and dyspraxia are often linked and people may have symptoms of both. it may be worth asking your senco about occupational therapy referral.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now