We may be moving to Devon HELP please !

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mumbojumbo

Re: We may be moving to Devon HELP please !

Post by mumbojumbo »

I have friends near Taunton. There are several private secondaries there. There's also a good state school in Chard called Holyrood Academy that they say has a great reputation.
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

Maynard is a good choice. It turns out quirky, self confident and happy girls. I'd go with that, though there are some very good state primaries around if you need them. For example I'd recommend you look at Stockland Primary if there are any places. It is in the Sunday Times "Top 50 Small Primary Schools", and regularly sends a surprising proportion of its children to Colyton Grammar.

Comparing Holyrood to Maynard is chalk and cheese I'm afraid. That enormous security fence put around Holyrood a couple of years ago is terribly sad, it gives the school the look and feel of an open prison. I don't know whether it was designed to keep children in when they ought to be in or out when they ought to be out, but either way it is not a good sign. I have a lot of time for the school's management team though. Bringing in outside consultants before the Ofsted visit raised the grade awarded from "Satisfactory" to "Outstanding". Personally I think "Improving" is a better description.

If you're looking to settle around Ottery St Mary be aware of the enormous new town which is being planned thereabouts, north east of the airport I think.
Loopy
Naulakha

Post by Naulakha »

I agree with LoobyLouLou that amongst state primaries in East Devon, Stockland has a great reputation- it also timetables sport every morning with lots of inter-schools cross country organised. Mrs Ethelstone's (on the border with Dorset) also has a good reputation, and is a feeder for Woodroffe secondary (very popular at the moment) but is on a rather cramped site.

For independent primaries, Maynard is lovely, and an excellent academic reputation at secondary level. St Margaret's has the advantage of being is co-ed up to 11 (thinking of your baby boy). I don't know much about Exeter school, except it is much bigger. Chard School (just over the border in Somerset) is also a lovely little independent primary school with some children going on to Colyton/ gaining scholarships each year (also feeds the Taunton independents). There is also Perrott Hill, but it is much more a traditional prep geared (including Saturday school) towards 13+ common entrance/ boarding rather than 11+ day schools.

Good luck with your search!