anyone else doing 11+ in 2012?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
fussymum

anyone else doing 11+ in 2012?

Post by fussymum »

Hi All

My daughter is being tutored for 11plus in 2012 and wants to go to Devonport. She is pretty good at VR but still only getting around 50% in maths papers. I am not sure if this is worth continuing with? I am also totally unclear about how the 11+ is scored? She hasn't done any english tasks with her tutor. I am assuming VR maths and english are all averaged to come up with a score?? Any help gratefully received. It would also be really nice to hear from anyone else in the same position. Hopefully you are not feeling as stressed as me about it all :!:
sarahc

Re: anyone else doing 11+ in 2012?

Post by sarahc »

Hi - This time last year I was in a very similar situation. My Daughter found verbal reasoning easy, but struggled with maths and was achieving roughly the same score in maths. We sought advise from our Tutor who reasured us that the 11 plus in weighted more towards verbal reasoning than maths for girls as there are 80 questions for VR and 50 for maths and that provided her maths improved, that her good VR could see her through. Amelia kept very positive we saw a gradual improvement in her maths so by the exam, she had improved significantly, whilst still maintaining her VR. I know it is stressful and I felt guilty at subjecting her to possible failure, but she really wanted to do the 11 plus and I kept this firmly in my mind - it paid off in the end as she is starting at Devonport in September and looking back, I don't know why I spent last Summer, Autumn and Winter worrying.
I hope this reply reasures you - I found this forum a great lifeline and as you can see, still go on it as my Son may be doing his 11 plus in 2 years.
GOOD LUCK to you both(and the rest of your family) in this journey and keep positive.
nonnymouse

Re: anyone else doing 11+ in 2012?

Post by nonnymouse »

what does the tutor say about her maths? At this stage many state schools haven't covered enough maths for the maths paper. If she gets low scores because she hasn't yet been taught the work she should pick up enough marks in time. She doesn't have to get 100% to be accepted.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now