Pass mark

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Carrie

Pass mark

Post by Carrie »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:?: Please can anyone explain to me the disparity in the apparent pass mark for the 11+ tests nationally???

Torbay LEA states that a candidate is successful if they obtain a minimum of 50% of available marks in both the English and Mathematics tests (as well as obtaining the VR score of the 100th candidate).

This contrasts starkly with information about all the other LEAs I have been delving into on this forum. Most parents talk about minimum results of 75 per cent and upwards.

Can somebody please clarify this??? Thanks. :?
Hallie

Post by Hallie »

It sounds as though they operate a "first past the post" system in Verbal reasoning, so your child would qualify if he/she is in the top performing 100 students, but must also show reasonable ability (hence the 50%) in Maths and English.

The governors of each foundation school set their own selective criteria. The LEAs in selective areas set the criteria for maintained schools in their area as I understand it. I'm not in Torbay so I don't know their system.

I'm in East Devon and the grammar my child is hoping to go to ( 2 days till we find out :shock: ) sets a "qualifying level" (no idea what the level is though!) and all children above this are then assessed for distance from school etc.

I suppose your system favours the higher performing children however far they live from school and our system favours any just passing living near the school. As usual, some win, some lose!
Hallie

Post by Hallie »

I should have added that if I were you I'd simply ask the LEA what the passmark was last year or if they won't tell you, how many children took it). This will give you an indication of the percentile required, (ie top 25% passed etc. ,which is quite common). If you go on to the NFER website(the exam board which sets most of the national 11+ tests) you can get an indication of what raw % marks might be required in the verbal reasoning.

www.nfer.ac.uk

For our own situation, I assumed approx 70-75% would be a pass: we'll see soon enough! Has your child already taken the 11+?(If so, Good Luck) Or is he/she taking it next year?

Post by Guest »

Dear Hallie

Thank you very much for your replies.

Worrying is over now. My darling daughter has passed for her chosen grammar!!!

But - I'm still in the dark over the actual pass marks required. But we obviously did all the right things!

Good luck and all best wishes.
Hallie

Post by Hallie »

Yes, my son passed too! He's really chuffed as he loved the school when we visited.

Only 2 more children to go.....(aaaargh!!!)
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now