Anybody sitting the Colyton test in November 2011?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
nearly there

Re: Anybody sitting the Colyton test in November 2011?

Post by nearly there »

We now have our letter confirming the arrangements for the 11+ test- it suddenly makes it seem real.

For next year's parents who may be interested:
It confirms that police will not operate a one-way system around the school this year due to a change in regulations (perhaps now that the school is an academy it would have to pay itself to receive traffic police support?).

There will be a park and ride scheme operating from Seaton Harbour car park for those driving which the school makes clear, in large bold capitals, is NOT optional! Disabled children only can get a special pass to be driven on to the school site.

Not really the most friendly, reassuring tone of letter -ah well, it will all be over soon.

How is anyone else getting on?
nonnymouse

Post by nonnymouse »

what did you think of the coaches in the end?
nearly there

Post by nearly there »

It all went quite smoothly and was well-organised for the practice day. The children seemed happy to go off on the coaches (there were 5 or 6 I think?)- and a teacher was present on each one to keep an eye on things.

The process of collecting the children afterwards did seem to take a long time- I think the test usually finishes by 12.30 but it was after 1.00 by the time the last few coaches were arriving in the car park.

One other tip- don't park your car at the end of row - the coach drivers did very well trying to negotiate around the full car park but we watched them squeeze perilously close to a couple of cars on corners.

Good Luck to everyone in Devon for Saturday- there certainly seemed to be a good number of children and parents last week, although they obviously don't post on here!
nearly there

Post by nearly there »

Well it is all over in Devon until March!

As there is (I think the same) late test for those who missed today's 11+ and then further tests every couple of weeks for those moving into the county after that, I won't post any test details until the results are out in March.

I will just say I hope all went well today for any lurkers out there! The forum has been very useful, although I have rather felt I've been talking to myself in the Devon section :)

I will pop back in March on results day- bye until then!
nonnymouse

Post by nonnymouse »

perhaps in the current financial climate people are less likely to move house to get into a particular school, it certainly seems like the number walking to school has increased. Rising travel costs and other travel problems (snow nearly closing the school, for example, for AS exams) coupled with improving schools in Lyme and Exeter may also be decreasing the numbers travelling. The three year 6th form also has an impact, not everyone wants their child making A level choices at 15 especially with at least one medical school not accepting results obtained over 3 years. If you live locally you are probably more likely to be influenced by convenience and less likely to visit sites like this.

As those moving into the area/ travelling tend to have higher results, there may be a decline in the school's position in the league tables in a few years. That does, of course, make it easier for other children to get in.
roll on march

Post by roll on march »

Hi nearly there,
How did your DC find the exam? My DS felt quite pleased as he managed to finish both papers but had lots of time left after the english test so maybe didn't write enough?
roll on march

Post by roll on march »

Hi, If there is anyone out there maybe you could enlighten me. Am I right in thinking that should a child fail to reach a pass in english, but score highly in the maths and VR would not be considered for a place??
Storm

Post by Storm »

I don't know if this applies to Colyton but in Torbay someone who has passed two elements would be considered a borderline pass. So it would depend on how many people passed all three, but if there were spaces remaining then borderline passes would be considered (possibly in conjunction with SATS tests, CATs and school reports) At a recent open evening at Torbay Boys Grammer the headteacher said that borderline passes would stand a reasonable chance of getting in.
nonnymouse

Post by nonnymouse »

I don't know for sure but I don't think it's quite as clear-cut as that, it would depend on how bad a fail and the standard of other applicants. Anyway I know of more than one child who "failed" the exam and got a place when the school had more vacancies to fill than passes.
nearly there

Post by nearly there »

I wasn't going to log on here again until March but.... :wink:

@roll on March (totally sympathise with your username!)

My DD said she found the VR okay (they did have 60 minutes for 80 questions), slightly harder perhaps than the GL practice papers in her opinion. She found the Maths very tough and guessed quite a few and also found it difficult to remember the English paper at all (so she said but I think she just wanted to forget about it all once it was over!).
That said, her best friend found the Maths and English fine but the VR difficult so I think it is quite subjective really and for my DD reflects what I would have expected as she has always preferred English to Maths.

I would try not to worry about your DS's English- the head said that 2/3 of the candidates passed it last year and no-one who passed VR and Maths failed the English part. He also seemed very relaxed about spelling etc. saying it would come with maturity. As the English paper is set and marked by the school, I think they are probably just looking for evidence of reasonable written English and some good ideas/ vocab in the writing. I am sure quality would be much more important than quantity!

The wait is very hard isn't it? My DD has already mentioned it a few times (although I haven't) and seems to be convincing herself she did progressively worse as time goes by (she is a bit of a worrier and whatever I say makes no difference). I think it is quite cruel to make 10 yr olds wait nearly 4 months, and naive to think they will just forget all about it. At least its the last year they will do this.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now