Some Torbay Questions!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Storm

Some Torbay Questions!

Post by Storm »

I know the Devon section tends to be quiet but hopefully there is someone who can answer some or all of these questions! We are probably going to be aiming for Torquay Boys Grammar.

Verbal reasoning: I know the papers are set by NFER so does that mean that the questions will be from the 21 question types? Or may there be other types?
I have been using the papers suggested by Patricia for the 21 question types, but should I be looking at others?

Maths: What are the best papers to use for this?

English: Again what are the best papers for practice? At the moment he is using Schofield and Simms for comprehension and I have been setting my own essay/story question, but I'm worried that he's not getting a feel for a 'real' paper this way.

And for all papers where do they do their working out? On the paper or on rough paper?
Roots2success

Re: Some Torbay Questions!

Post by Roots2success »

Hi Storm.

Verbal Reasoning - if your child can get high scores in the Bond VR practice papers (10 to 11+) and (11+ to 12+) he should be fine.

Maths - I tend to concentrate on basic maths skills and ensure that the child has covered the whole syllabus for Key Stage 2 - your child's teacher should be able to advise you on this.

English - The comprehension is multiple choice. It was really hard last year so hopefully will be a bit easier this year. It would be a good idea to practice some letter-writing.

Rough working - paper is supplied for this for the verbal reasoning papers; the children do rough working for English and Maths on the papers themselves.

Good luck! Get in touch if you need more advice, Chris
Storm

Re: Some Torbay Questions!

Post by Storm »

Thank you for all that info Roots2success! I shall have to get some Bond books as I think they cover question types not covered by the papers I've been using. He's been scoring very highly on the IPS tests so I want to find something a bit more challenging for him.
Maths is his strength, so I think we're on the right lines there.
But very hard comprehension - that was the last thing I wanted to hear! :lol:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now