11+ and Key Stage 2 Levels

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
twinmum2001

11+ and Key Stage 2 Levels

Post by twinmum2001 »

Calling anyone who can comment...

Is there any correllation between the level the child achieves in school and being able to pass 11+.

Seemingly a silly question but in my experience the types of tests are very different.

I suppose what I am saying is it normal for a child achieving a level 4c in SAT's to pass 11+, or do they need to be a 5c or above??

In my sons' year (Y5) there is a small group achieving level 5c and above already in both their Maths and English, and a large group already achieving level 4c and above. This is based on 'Mock' Key Stage 2 SAT's from last year.

Both my Sons achieved 5a in Maths (one scoring 100% in both Papers A and B and the Aural), and both 4a in their English.

Please share your thoughts.
hermanmunster

Re: 11+ and Key Stage 2 Levels

Post by hermanmunster »

Obviously varies by area, how bothered the schools are about the SATS and how competitive the 11 plus entry is.

At the local GS most who had done SATS had 3*5 when they went to the school, some had 5,5,4 - I think any less and they would have struggled.

Having said that, you are right that the SATS and the 11plus are not testing the the same things
tiredmumof2

Post by tiredmumof2 »

I would have thought that with 5as in Maths and 4as in English at this stage, they would have a great chance of getting in to a GS.

Of course, you will want to do some practice papers because the SATs papers are very different from the 11 plus papers, but the 5as in particular must be quite unusual at year 5 end and your sons will likely whizz through the maths 11 plus papers!

Good luck!
Manana

Post by Manana »

twinmum2001 wrote:Calling anyone who can comment...

Is there any correllation between the level the child achieves in school and being able to pass 11+.

Seemingly a silly question but in my experience the types of tests are very different.

I suppose what I am saying is it normal for a child achieving a level 4c in SAT's to pass 11+, or do they need to be a 5c or above??

In my sons' year (Y5) there is a small group achieving level 5c and above already in both their Maths and English, and a large group already achieving level 4c and above. This is based on 'Mock' Key Stage 2 SAT's from last year.

Both my Sons achieved 5a in Maths (one scoring 100% in both Papers A and B and the Aural), and both 4a in their English.

Please share your thoughts.
Generally, obviously the higher their level, the higher their chances. However, there will always be a 5a who was a 'dead cert' who fluffs it on the day and a 4c who surprises everyone by passing.

Were your boys given a 5a for the maths teacher assessment as well as in the paper?
twinmum2001

Post by twinmum2001 »

Hi there!

Teacher Assessment says 6c for one and 5a for the other.

They sat their mock last weekend- they say it seemed ok...
Manana

Post by Manana »

twinmum2001 wrote:Hi there!

Teacher Assessment says 6c for one and 5a for the other.

They sat their mock last weekend- they say it seemed ok...
A 6c for Y5 is outstanding!
twinmum2001

Post by twinmum2001 »

Dear Manana

Yes very proud!

He, well both have issues with expressive writing- which could be where they come unstuck. This year the school has introduced a composition paper. Both have excellent Spelling knowledge and a good grasp of punctutation- BUT sentence structure and imagination they lack considerably...

Do you have a child about to or has been through 11+??
Manana

Post by Manana »

twinmum2001 wrote:Dear Manana

Yes very proud!

He, well both have issues with expressive writing- which could be where they come unstuck. This year the school has introduced a composition paper. Both have excellent Spelling knowledge and a good grasp of punctutation- BUT sentence structure and imagination they lack considerably...

Do you have a child about to or has been through 11+??
Hi,

Yes-I've got three, the eldest of which sits the 11+ in September. He is only a 5c across the board though. I must say, as a primary school teacher, we've never had a child at a L6 in Year 5, so well done to your DS :)
twinmum2001

Post by twinmum2001 »

ONLY 5C!! Come on you must be pretty proud too?

I was a primary school teacher, and I suppose I will always have that in me (somewhere!). I gave it all up in 2009, due to health reasons. My last post was as an SEN Support Teacher.

No I have never had a L6 in the schools I have taught in. My son with the L6 was diagnosed 4 years ago with 'Asperger Traits' and we have chosen over the years to let him focus on his obsession, which is maths/numbers. He can very easily manipulate figures in his head and come up with answers as fast as a calculator. He is not imaginative in any way, so we do wory about his ability to cope in a GS setting as he will need to express himself.

He is not statemented, up until a year ago was on a school action plus IEP. This has since been reviewed and filed- he is one of the school's little success stories. We would rather work with him, than label him Apergers- we want him to be independent and self-supporting; and less vulnerable as an adult.

Fingers crossed for all our children.
Their school has said that they will assess them next May using the L6 Papers to get a more accurate assessment. They felt that there was no need this year. They knew what they as a school needed to know.