Totally new - please help re DHSG

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Movette2000

Totally new - please help re DHSG

Post by Movette2000 »

Hi
My daughter has just started year 5 and I'm preparing her for the 11+. The problem I'm having is finding out which exams she needs to take and I need it simplified.. I've been working with her on her maths, VR and NVR but it looks like the 2013 (2014 intake) test will be maths and English comprehension. I know it might change for the 2014 test but based on this year - does that mean no more VR or NVR? Just maths test and English comprehension? If so, I need to get more books for English.
Any help much appreciated.
Thank you
angieblaikie

Re: Totally new - please help re DHSG

Post by angieblaikie »

Hi
my daughter did her 11+ last september when the exams were Maths and VR WITH an unmarked english essay { only used for tie breaks or for when you just missed entrance mark }

this year i have another daughter doing the 11+ and she has Maths Multiple choice version and English comprehension. followed by the english essay which again is unmarked except when disputing place at school.

I would envisage that next year will be the same but one never knows for sure. Best bet is to keep your ears to the ground.

Good luck with the studies and hope your dd gets her place
Movette2000

Post by Movette2000 »

Thank you very much.
The essay worries me. I've not heard of that. Do you know what they have to do? What's it's on? How long it needs to be?
Thank you
Carmen
erisindevon

Post by erisindevon »

The essay is only marked in the event of a tiebreak on allocation.

My dd did the test last year and she really lucked out with the essay question - they were asked to do a piece of descriptive writing about a tranquil spot if I remember correctly - which she genuinely enjoyed. A friend's daughter was given a list of possible topics by her tutor, but tbh we didn't practise for it at all. If your daughter is writing well at school, it's probably not the most important thing to focus on - especially given that they now have an actual English paper so you'll be practising for that anyway.

On the other hand, the essay the boys' school candidates had to do sounded completely evil - a letter to the London mayor with suggestions for how to make use of the Olympic stadium. Seemed a bit unfair for a bunch of Plymouth kids, though I'm sure that in the South-East it would have seemed quite reasonable, being a local issue. Also, this was the first year of the Writing test for DHSB, so no one was quite sure what to expect.

If you come back on here in a couple more weeks, after the tests, you will probably get some more useful feedback from this year's cohort. It's all new for the girls' schools, so no one is quite sure how things will pan out yet.

Good luck!
angieblaikie

Post by angieblaikie »

Dont stress too much over the essay , so long as she has good grammar skills.

English is comprehension with spelling, grammar and punctuation in multi choice format and maths is multi choice .

The GL Assessment past papers multi choice type are perfect tools to practice and ********** website is a fab resource too :D
Movette2000

Post by Movette2000 »

Thank you for all your support/guidance. Much appreciated.
Carmen
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now