How to identify what your child wants to be?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
ginx

Re: How to identify what your child wants to be?

Post by ginx »

My dd1, year 10, was asking me today what she should do when she is "grown up". She has no idea. I have no idea for her; she is very kind, and would be a fantastic nurse except that she is so squeamish. She doesn't greatly like children, but working in a nursery would be an option. In my opinion she should be a physio therapist, occupational therapist, speech therapist, but I have no idea of pushing her into anything. She's not academic but so kind.

My dd2 in year 7 hasn't a clue either. She is only just finding her feet and learning which subjects she prefers, I'm not surprised - but she has surprised herself. She's gone from preferring literacy to "loving" maths and sciences and art. No idea what she's going to do.

Ds2, year 3, knows exactly what he's going to be. A footballer. It's obvious. He's the best footballer in his school, according to him. :lol:

Much more worryingly, ds1, year 11, doesn't really have a clue either. It's difficult.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

I'm a big believer in nothing being permanent career wise, Ina's much as you should never feel stuck. My dad was a hospital physician and retired at 60 years old. He then retrained as a gp (not just a swap, he had to do 3 years as a junior doctor in the same hospital, nights and all, then 2 years as a trainee gp in a practise) then worked until 72 as a gp. So I don't think you are doomed if you decide your first career is not working for you, at 20, 42 or 60!
However, to help with the first forays into choices, I have always thought a good investment might be a couple sessions with a careers counsellor when they are approaching sixth form maybe.........? Is this a naive plan??
ahap

Post by ahap »

I think that's a good idea. Sometimes a child would know what they want to become, and sometimes we have to identify where their talent lies and show them the way so that they make an informed decision. We could always ask their teachers, advisors and so on about their future careers. Sometimes teachers or parents can identify if the child cannot or is confused when choosing subjects or careers. They have to choose the subjects at the correct time for their GCSEs and all isn't it? We can wait but the only problem is that time will not wait... :roll:
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
ahap

Post by ahap »

One of my uncle retired as an Inspector General (IG) at age 60 and now works as a lawyer.

edited to mention:- that he had already studied law while he was in his previous job for one of his promotions it seems which had helped him to do what was required to become a lawyer after retirement.
He joined the police force after doing a degree which had helped him to get a higher rank as well.
Last edited by ahap on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

ahap wrote:One of my uncle retired as an Inspector General (IG) at age 60 and then studied again and now works as a lawyer.
Wow! :o
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Yamin151 wrote:I have always thought a good investment might be a couple sessions with a careers counsellor when they are approaching sixth form maybe.........?
Now where on earth could we find one of those ......??? :lol:

JD
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I'm semi retired....!!!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

KS10 wrote:I wonder how many of us are doing what we wanted to do and if we're still happy with our choices. I know I'm not really sure anymore. I don't mind what my kids do as long as it's legal, doesn't involve losing their integrity or trampling over others to get to where they think they ought to be.
Absolutely agree...although I wouldn't mind if they bent the law just a tiny bit :lol:

I never chose what I wanted to be, I just sort of fell into it all the way along!

I may choose what I want to be next after full time housewiffery job has finished, but in all probability I will just fall into something again. Both dh and I have about as much career ambition as a fluffy bunny! We just earn money to get by. I always wanted to own a sweet shop, that sold flavoured ice cream too, I still think it would be rather nice. :D

Ds1 has no idea, Ds2/3 barely know what they want to do in the next 5 minutes.
Yamin151

Post by Yamin151 »

southbucks3 wrote:
KS10 wrote:I wonder how many of us are doing what we wanted to do and if we're still happy with our choices. I know I'm not really sure anymore. I don't mind what my kids do as long as it's legal, doesn't involve losing their integrity or trampling over others to get to where they think they ought to be.
Absolutely agree...although I wouldn't mind if they bent the law just a tiny bit :lol:

I never chose what I wanted to be, I just sort of fell into it all the way along!

I may choose what I want to be next after full time housewiffery job has finished, but in all probability I will just fall into something again. Both dh and I have about as much career ambition as a fluffy bunny! We just earn money to get by. I always wanted to own a sweet shop, that sold flavoured ice cream too, I still think it would be rather nice. :D

Ds1 has no idea, Ds2/3 barely know what they want to do in the next 5 minutes.
What a lovely family you sound, southbucks
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Hmmm, reading that back makes us sound a bit like banjo playing hillbillies... :oops:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now