Colyton results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Iscamaid

Re: Colyton results

Post by Iscamaid »

The same paragraph for us. From looking at previous years and talking to parents we had expected a grading so we hope that if we now put Colyton as our first choice he gets accepted and this is the equivalent of an "A" marking.
SoftKitty

Post by SoftKitty »

I was going that it was the equivalent of an 'A' category too Iscamaid. It is frustrating that no further information is given.
SoftKitty

Post by SoftKitty »

That should have said 'hoping' not 'going'
Iscamaid

Post by Iscamaid »

I have been asking other parents and have heard of potentially four children who were offered places which will not be taking them up for various reasons. This leads me to wonder if they do have a reserve list?
Petunia

Post by Petunia »

Iscamaid thanks for the info. Are they definitely not taking up their places? I'm very interested because on the CGS website on the admissions page it says:

The eligible score will vary annually such that the total number of eligible children is approximately 135.

So, I'm assuming that at least 135 children got the email saying that a place was 'likely'. Since the PAN is 124 that means they've already got around nine children who are effectively on a waiting list.

I hope my DD isn't in that bottom nine. I can't imagine how stressful it will be for those who have been told a place is likely to then not be allocated one in March.
mummyaiz

Post by mummyaiz »

In the last paragraph, it mentioned about the right to appeal if the LA doesnt offer you a place provided you put Colyton as your first choice of school.

There were 4 others from my daughter's school who sit the exam and she's the only one that got a positive reply. Im assuming that she passed all the test to gained an eligible score. Therefore, Im assuming that she has secured a place, not unless the LA think otherwised, then we will lodged an appeal if thats the case.
Averagedad

Post by Averagedad »

Perhaps, it may be helpful to share with you all about what a CGS Year 7 parent has recently told me.

The parent stated that during the new students welcome day in June, she was advised by a member of staff, that although the school had sent out 135 'offer' letter, only 120 accepted the offer - 4 short of the school's PAN of 124.

My understanding is that, in addition to use new test papers (= using papers designed by University of Durham) and new arrangement (= NO mock test arranged), the school has also decided NOT to use the Category A/B/C system. Also, as long as your child gets a qualifying score, you receive an 'offer' letter AND you put CGS as your FIRST choice in the Devon LA form, your child, based on what happened in the latest intake, WILL almost be certain to get a place at CGS.

Perhaps, you all may wish to know that the school has just appointed a new headteacher, who used to be the Deputy Headteacher at the Reading (Grammar Boys') School, effective September 2016,

https://headcgs.wordpress.com/

Well Done to everyone that has been working together with your child as a Team, Team Family - this will definitely empower your child for Life.

Have a great week, every week.

Kind regards
Terence Lai,
Seaton
Together We Build a Happier & Safer World