DHSG suspended

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

DHSG suspended

Post by Guest »

As if doing the 11plus isn't stressful enough,now the parents that have chosen DHSG have something else to worry about.

It was stated in the press the headmistress has been suspended due to the fact that she was trying to modernise the school,I have it on a reliable source that the governors were concerned about the profile of the school,traditionally being for the elite with little tolerance for anyone else,the headmistress stressed that they cater for all,hence a drop in standard of the children applying.This and the fact that the Alevel results have dropped considerably this year have highlighted the fact that too much change to soon doesn't work.

The problem that you have now is the coming intake,that think it is going to be fine and if we struggl;e we will be spoonfed,are very mistaken.The govenors are very keen to get things back to how they were,so alot of children will be very unhappy in the military environment,rather than the holiday camp they have picked.
I for one am happy,as I don't see why my daughter should be held up to accomadate children that can only cope learning learning at a snails pace,if the kids can't keep up maybe it's the wrong school for them.

Post by Guest »

I have no idea what you are talking about! Your message does not make sense to me. (I passed my 11+!!!)

Post by Guest »

It makes perfect sense,some spelling and grammatical errors,I grant you .Perhaps you should re-read.

My point being,the current headmistress in her quest to modernise the school,has stressed the point that it is not for the elite,hence parents of children ,who under the old headmistress would never have considered the school suitable now are.

It is not always a question of ability,but often the desire to learn.Laziness and sloppyness even in the brightest of children will hinder learning.

Standards have without a doubt have slipped,and it is the govenors aim to correct this,hence my comment regarding the current intake who only saw the school under the existing headmistress.In a way I do empathise with these families,as they could not have foreseen what was about to unfold,and unwittingly some will most definately have made a mistake,which the children will have to live with.

As for passing my 11+,I lived in an area that didn't have grammer schools,I am however a doctor,so not totally uneducated! :lol:

Post by Guest »

The idea of elitism in education went out with the Ark. For one who purports to come from the medical profession - your remarks seem to represent a distinct lack of ethics.
Many families posting on this forum hold strong or even unique views, however it seems common for authors of posts to apply some measure of sensitivity to their text with respect to the possible "viewing"audience.
Children who are about to enter the selection procedure and those who have recently taken part in it (successfully or not) are likely readers of our messages.
You do the DHSG governors no great service by representing their ethos in this way - if elitism is indeed part of their remit.
For those who didn't read history at uni - the grammar school movement was fundamentally designed to eradicate elitism.

Post by Guest »

I object to you speaking with such confidence about the reason for the suspension of the Head teacher at DHSG. Any theories you have can be no more than speculation because the governors are not allowed to discuss the reasons with anyone. We may all like to speculate but it is inappropriate for you to assume your own speculations are correct, and seemingly announce them. The reason may be nothing to do with the conclusions you make which can only be based on your interpetation of the quote in the press about modernisation.
The rumour mill is just that and I suspect the learners and staff at DHSG are trying to continue to work and avoid this indulgence .
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now