How did everyone get on?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
rubyruby

How did everyone get on?

Post by rubyruby »

My daughter took the 11+ last Saturday (Verbal Reasoning). She said that it was harder than the practice papers she had been doing and also harder than the Mock at DHSG. She said that there was one set of questions which she hadn't come across before in any of the practice papers she had done which was a grid of numbers and then another grid of numbers with ?s in. Not sure what she was supposed to do here. Did any other girls have a problem with these questions. Sorry I haven't explained it very well. What were your girl's thoughts on the exam?
nearlyover

Post by nearlyover »

My daughter found the VR test difficult and harder than practice papers. But, she hasn't wanted to talk on any real detail so I don't know about different types of questions. She seems very tired and I am just wishing for saturday because I don.t think she could do anymore work if I asked her to. She did say lots of girls seemed to find it hard last week too. Thanks for posting, seem lots of views but not many are forthcoming with sharing views. Although I have had to re-register with new name because my user info wouldn't work !!
Blossom

Post by Blossom »

Hi,
Just wanted to say on the very quiet Devon website that I was really anxious this time last year after my dd took the test at DHSG. When she came out she said (rather glibly I thought) 'Oh I didn't know a lot of it so just guessed and left some out'. Oh how happy I was! :lol: It didn't feel much better the following Saturday when she also said it was very hard. The only good feeling was of relief that it was all over with until March as the outcome is out of your hands.
I expect your daughter, along with everyone else's has done her very best, and you as a parent have done as much as you can in giving her your love and support. We all want what's best for our children and you are doing that. So get the wine ready for next Saturday and have a big bonfire to burn all those practice papers!
I now wonder what all the fuss was about....... ! :roll:
candyfloss

how did everybody get on ?

Post by candyfloss »

hi all,
it,s good to see feedback from saturday.
my daughter like nearlyover,s is keeping things close to her chest!
she did say it was not very hard ,but not very easy either, she was dissapointed that the types of questions she finds easier were not even in the paper!however she did manage to just finish.
we are trying to motivate her in doing a maths paper, but to be honest she is sick of the sight of them :lol:
has anyone any idea of the number of girls who sat the test at dhsg on saturday?
NoIdea

Post by NoIdea »

I've heard numbers ranging from 190 (PHSG) to 305 (DHSG). Anyone with accurate figures?
rubyruby

Post by rubyruby »

Apparently the number taking the exam or all was 360 (both schools). Someone told me that on the day of the exam. I think there were two lots of sittings on each day at each school? I agree that the girls will have done their best and that is all we can expect of them. My daughter's stronger paper was always the VR in practice so she is not looking forward to the Maths one, although her teachers say she is great at Maths at school! I think that lots of the questions are on things she has yet to learn at school - stuff that will be in the curriculum this and next term. She just managed to finish the VR with minutes to go and usually she has time to check her answers so she wasn't able to do that this time. She seems ok about it all though so that's a relief.
rubyruby

Post by rubyruby »

sorry, that should read over all!
nearlyover

Post by nearlyover »

So good to read how others got on too. I asked LEA beforehand how many were taking the exam but they were characteristically helpful. NO COMMENT!!! - just seem to be rumours so if number is 305 at least we know.
nearlyover

Post by nearlyover »

Sorry 360 - seems worse now !
Katie

Post by Katie »

Hi everyone in Plymouth / Cornwall.
Glad to see you're through the first hurdle as the children have worked so hard. Good luck to everyone for the results day.

The Devon site is very quiet, so it was good to see your posts!
If anyone is really keen to find out specific data such as how many children sat the exam, you could write to the LEA. This is a very basic piece of information. But if they refuse, you may write again and begin your letter "under the data protection act, please can you inform me .....etc". This gives the local authority a set length of time in which to respond to your request. It's often around 21 days or thereabouts.
In Torbay the numbers who sat 11+ were very high this year. At our local grammar there were 280 children entering for only 120 places.
Good luck to you all.Image
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now