hello

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rainbow

Post by rainbow »

Mmm, a bit mixed - he really enjoyed the lessons but said he felt a bit left out as he thought lots of children in his form already knew each other - and as we're moving down from Hertfordshire, don't know anybody yet. Once he got the 'negatives' out of his system he seemed fine and was very positive about the rest of the day, but we did come away feeling a llittle flat! I'm sure that once he's actually there he'll be fine and that we're worrying about nothing. You have to have something to worry about though, don't you??
creamtea

Post by creamtea »

My son didn't know anyone starting yesterday either...quite a surprise to us as we live about 4 miles away and he attends a local school! I think a lot of people are in the same position...what tutor group is he in, my son is in Cedar?!

Are you all sorted for moving down here?...We were in the same position a few years ago.
rainbow

Post by rainbow »

My son's in Oak - though for some obscure reason DH was convinced he'd be in Cedar! How did you find moving down - was it also combined with a child starting at secondary school?
creamtea

Post by creamtea »

Yes... we moved a couple of years ago to coincide with our older son starting at Colyton. A nightmare summer involving all our home in storage and us sleeping in a friend's spare room. We completed on the house sale the day before term started and my son couldn't fill in details form on the first day as he didn't know his address!!! Luckily, like childbirth, it fades quickly and soon seems well worth it!
rainbow

Post by rainbow »

Yes, Nature's way! Sounds like a nightmare - we've already secured a rental, though haven't yet set a date for moving down. Hearing your story makes me think that maybe we weren't so crazy in going for Colyton and uprooting our DS after all - it just sometimes feels that way! Which area are you in? Our rental is in Seaton so not far from school - but just a bit too far to walk, we already tried it!
creamtea

Post by creamtea »

We're not far from Axminster, an easy bus journey and not too far to collect them if they stay to clubs after school!

We love living down here and have never regretted the move. We haven't lost touch with any old friends as they all come down for their holidays...I should have bought a b&b!
rainbow

Post by rainbow »

Now there's an idea! Whereabouts in the country did you move from? I must admit I'm dreading the day DS has to say his final "Goodbyes", but really can't wait to make the move, though some days it's difficult to imagine day-to-day life in a completely different place (but I'm up for the challenge!). Did your older son settle into life down there pretty quickly, or was it a bit of an uphill struggle?
creamtea

Post by creamtea »

We lived in Sussex not far from Brighton!

My older son has just read your mail...quote.."it was really easy to make friends, everyone was in the same situation!"

He has made some great friends, lots of parties and trips to Exeter...buy a map of Devon!
rainbow

Post by rainbow »

Thanks - the quote from your older son was very reassuring, I'll show it to my son tomorrow, sure it will make him feel a lot better, especially NOT coming from either his mum, dad or a Colyton teacher! Map of Devon definitely on the 'must have' list, felt sure from day 1 that we'll be a taxi service for the next few years - probably a small price to pay!
happymum

Post by happymum »

My son came home on Wednesday not wanting to return to his primary school. He was very positive about the day and had already made friends with a few children in his tutor group.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now