Plymouth grammar schools for girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
janel

Plymouth grammar schools for girls

Post by janel »

I am researching from outside the area and would be grateful for any info on admissions to the 2 girls' grammars in Plymouth. In particular I would like to know :
1 can a girl apply to both schools? If so, do they take a different test for each?
2 how many applicants are there usually and how many places?
3 What is the pass mark?
4 What's the best local alternative for able girls who don't get a grammar place?(private and state please)
many thanks in advance for anyone who can help at all.
candyfloss

Post by candyfloss »

hi,
in reply to your questions janel,
1.you can apply to both schools as 1st and 2nd choice, the test taken is the same for both schools.it is taken over two saturdays in january and the papers are maths and verbal reasoning.
2. there are 120 places at both schools and there is no pass mark. the highest scoring girl will set the pass score, if your daughter comes within the top 120 scores of the highest scoring girl she will gain a place.this year there were 366 girls applying for the two schools. so 146 girls will have been dissapointed.
as for alternatives, there is a catholic all girls secodary school with a good reputation here in plymouth. as for private schools, i,m afraid i can,t help you there.
hope this helps

candyfloss
candyfloss

Post by candyfloss »

sorry, oops should have said 126 girls this year will have been dissapointed. good job my dd inherited her dads fondness for maths!!

candyfloss