School Selection Procedure for Plymouth

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Post by Guest »

Hi saltash mum

I think that it is really unfair system having to lose a good secondary place by taking the 11 plus. If your daughter gains her place through hard work who can object?
Saltash Mum 30

Post by Saltash Mum 30 »

Agreed, it's not a fair system at all.

It would be much better to hold the tests earlier in the year and then you would know before you submit your application.

This whole thing seems to cause parents so much stress. This site is a real bonus though being able to swap experiences with others going through it.

Post by Guest »

Hi saltashmum

Not much consalation to you but the system is apparently about to change ,so that if you choose to do the 11 plus and do not pass you will still gain a place in your catchment comp. This will be a huge bonus to some children as they might be a bit unwilling to take a chance and risk losing a good school where the new system will remove the risk and let these children have a go.

The down side is thst it will push up the score needed to gain a place.

I am not sure of the lesser of two evils!!!!

Post by Guest »

I cannot understand why anyone would put a Grammar School as second choice, surely if you put your child through the eleven plus process you are SERIOUS about them going to a grammar school so you would put that as a FIRST choice. If I was guaranteed a good comprehensive school such as Tavistock Community College I certainly would not bother with all the extra stress of the 11+. Why so muddled now 3 months after the application date? :roll: I haven't got a problem with out of area applicants as long as they don't pass! (only joking). When is the independant state of Cornwall going to get a local grammar school?
not muddled

Post by not muddled »

to the guest who said about the system changing

Where have you got this information from? Is it accurate?

I f this is to be the case this will mean that children who are lucky enough to have a good local school will be in a win win situation, whereas children who have a poor school will have to work even harder under more pressure,with less of a chance at gaining a place in a grammer,which in some cases will be their only chanct to a good education.
The present system may be flawed,but this seems even worse.

Post by Guest »

the new admissions code ( 2008 admissions is the first year affected) will bar first preference first co-ordinated schemes so all LAs will have to move to 'equal preference schemes.
Saltash Mum 30

Post by Saltash Mum 30 »

The real answer to all of this would be to reinstate grammar schools - clearly there is a demand from parents and places at these schools are
not easy to obtain.

The (not-yet independent) State of Cornwall (made me laugh!) had lots of grammar schools which have been gradually closed. There are very few in Devon and I think I'm right in saying none at all in several UK counties.

This then puts a tremendous amount of pressure on those remaining schools and also on pupils, some of whom leave home at 7am to travel to grammar schools in Plymouth.

We're luckier, Saltash is a short bus ride away but the choice to proceed through the grammar school represents a sizeable commitment from tutoring (unpopular though it may), to travel times for the children, travel costs for the parent, contingency plans for potential failure, etc.

Our choice, I realise that, not one taken lightly.
Mad Mum

Post by Mad Mum »

I heard recently of a child taking this year's 11+ who comes from BODMIN or somewhere around there - it would take the child nearly an hour to get to school and home again everyday! Poor thing I hope for his sake he doesn't pass - how do you keep up that level of travel everyday for 5+ years?

I think out of area applications are ok as long as they are in, say a half hour radius of the chosen school, other than that I think they should look closer to home for a suitable school.

Regarding the school selection procedure - I agree that it is really unfair when you consider that grammar schools accept applications from any child who passes their selection test (ie 11+) but comprehensives in Plymouth go on a totally different criteria i.e. - locality. It is so not a level playing field and highly confusing for all concerned. If my daughter doesn't pass and she doesn't get a place at her 3rd choice school then she will end up at one of the poorest performing comps. in the city!
Mad Mum

Post by Mad Mum »

I heard recently of a child taking this year's 11+ who comes from BODMIN or somewhere around there - it would take the child nearly an hour to get to school and home again everyday! Poor thing I hope for his sake he doesn't pass - how do you keep up that level of travel everyday for 5+ years?

I think out of area applications are ok as long as they are in, say a half hour radius of the chosen school, other than that I think they should look closer to home for a suitable school.

Regarding the school selection procedure - I agree that it is really unfair when you consider that grammar schools accept applications from any child who passes their selection test (ie 11+) but comprehensives in Plymouth go on a totally different criteria i.e. - locality. It is so not a level playing field and highly confusing for all concerned. If my daughter doesn't pass and she doesn't get a place at her 3rd choice school then she will end up at one of the poorest performing comps. in the city!
Mad Mum

Post by Mad Mum »