COLYTON INFORMATION PLEASE!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

rainbow

Post by rainbow »

Just to confirm that there is no catchment area - we applied for Colyton and sat the test while living in Hertfordshire. Glad to say that DS was successful and is now halfway through year 7 - they really do seem to take the top 120 or so, regardless of whereabouts they live. Can't really remember much about the actual tests - Maths and VR seemed pretty straightforward (based on NFER practice papers), re. English I'd agree with Happy Mum as our children sat the test at the same time - be prepared for all eventualities!
jollyjersey

colyton

Post by jollyjersey »

Thank you. It's always better to know as much as possible. Could you help with this part of the procedure that I don't understand, please?
When you accept the place on behalf of your child, do you have to give Colyton or the LEA (system different here) a solicitor's letter to say you will move nearer or do they just expect your child to turn up on the first day of term, correctly equipped?
JJ
JJ
rainbow

Post by rainbow »

No solicitor's letter or other 'proof' was required. The only time that proximity to the school might be an issue, from what I can gather, is if 2 children with identical scores are chasing the 120th place - at that point, as I understand it, the child living closest would get the place (I believe their admissions policy clarifies this). We had all the same questions as you when we were going through the process - if in any doubt, you can always ring the school direct, we found them to be very helpful and straightforward with their replies! Good luck!
jollyjersey

Catchment Areas

Post by jollyjersey »

Thank you. You've been very helpful and reassuring.
We're going to come over for an open day next term and I'm sure they'll be able to answer all my mad questions.
In a way, I suppose it is all down to good luck and everything coming together at the right time. Fingers crossed!
JJ
JJ
buzzard

Post by buzzard »

when it comes to movin into the area - obviously your child needs to start with the other children to make friends. Some families rent for extended periods.
moosh

Post by moosh »

Hi does anyone know whether Colyton set for English and Maths in year 7 and if so do they rely on the SATS results or is it done on the 11 plus scores in these subjects.

Do they CAT test in year 7? and is there a big reshuffle based on these results.
creamtea

Post by creamtea »

No there aren't any sets in year 7. The children are put into one of four classes which are one of the four houses, Beech, Cedar, Ash and Oak. They do all their lessons with their class, joining with some others for things like PE. They try to put small groups from similar areas together in each class, though you can bet your child will become best friends with the one who lives furthest away!

I don't think they do CAT tests in year 7 but they do ask for the results from your school if your child has done them.

In year 8 the children are put into sets for English, Maths and French. The sets are based on their attainment in year 7, particularly their results in the half term assessments.
moosh

colyton news

Post by moosh »

Hi can anyone tell this anxious parent when we can expect to hear from Colyton. I thought it was sometime around mid January that they send out first notification of whether DC has made the qualify list.
northernsoul

Post by northernsoul »

School are apparently aiming to send letters out next week, towards end of Jan. The wait is awful isn't it? Don't know if I can survive that long........ :(
moosh

Post by moosh »

Thank you. More sleepless nights for me. Think DS has forgotton all about it. Apart from mentioning the snacks once it is almost like it never happened. How can he be so calm?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now