COLYTON GCSE in FOUR YEARS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mumbojumbo

COLYTON GCSE in FOUR YEARS

Post by mumbojumbo »

Does anyone have any info re Colyton students taking GCSEs in four years instead of the usual five? It now seems to be routine for this school, but has anyone's DC actually been through it? Was it unnecessarily stressful?
Do they then do better with A-levels or do they end up re-taking some GCSEs in yr 11 to get better grades? if so, what's the pint of sitting them all a year early?
Any feedback re this topic would be of great interest - thanks
creamtea

Post by creamtea »

You're right in thinking that all the children at Colyton take their GCSE's a year early. My son is in Yr10 and due to sit them this summer.
From my experience the results are just as good as if they sit them later and I've not heard of anyone re-sitting in Yr11!
The big advantage from doing them early is the pupils get 3yrs in 6th form which gives them loads of time to aim for the A* grades at A level and do other non academic stuff, which is encouraged!
My son doesn't seem at all stressed by it all (though he's pretty laid back anyway). They all did fine in their mocks and had pretty much finished the courses by Christmas so the teachers have lots of time to help them revise.
I am going to start nagging him to do more in the Easter holidays but I'm pretty sure that would have happened whether he was in yr10 or yr11!!
buzzard

Post by buzzard »

this year the results were not as good as last year. That could be a less able year or that the teachers worked particularly hard with the first year to sit exams early. Quite a few papers were sent for remarking and some upgraded from A to A* as a result.

My child is at Colyton and I am very unhappy about them taking exams early as they have to make choices about A levels early and can give up English and MAths. They then take general studies A level - a subject nod decent university values.