11 plus time is approaching! BSG

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Here we go!

11 plus time is approaching! BSG

Post by Here we go! »

Hi
The 11+ isn't far away. I like the look of this school but don't know much about it. We are out of the Bournemouth catchment for BSG. I just wondered whether anyone knows much about how hard it is to gain a place? I'm aware places like Kent have regular grammars and also the super selective. As there is only one grammar option, does that mean BSG is harder to get in to?

Are there many others on this forum for BSG? It would be interesting to hear your views on the school or admission process.

Many thanks!
mad?

Re: 11 plus time is approaching! BSG

Post by mad? »

Welcome!

I'm afraid I am not familiar with our area but if you search previous thread in the Dorset forum there have been some previous applicants whose information may be of use to you. Good luck.
mad?

Post by 2112 »

Would love to be able to help but this is alll new to us too. I fear this year might well see their highest numbers ever taking the test. I can't believe how many children we know who plan on taking it, many of them have surprised us as well but their families value education very highly and they have all been being tutored for a long time. Just read another post where someone said their daughter didn't get in this year with a score of 316 but the scores are all a bit of a mystery to me, I have no idea what people generally get.
Here we go!

Post by Here we go! »

Thanks for your reply 2112. It's nice to hear from Someone. It's difficult to speak to other parents that are entering their children for the 11+ locally. It's seems a bit cloak and dagger at times!

Oh dear! High numbers of applicants? That doesn't sound great!

Despite being out of Bournemouth, I've heard of lots of people going for it too. Darn those parents that value their children's educations! :lol:

I might have a look at the other 11+ areas and see what scores they are successful with and see how the 316 compares.

Post by 2112 »

Bournemouth is always popular as so many of the secondary schools in town are pretty rubbish. I don't know that my daughter is even going to bother taking the exam, she only mentioned it last week so she doesn't even know what verbal reasoning is. Sadly she is very clever so ought to have a chance but the tutoring obsession in the area probably rules her out as she hadn't been. I never was when I did it and I don't think it is right as then they will struggle to keep up. If you are out of catchment then your local secondary might not be too bad. Ringwood is supposed to be excellent, highcliffe and QE I have heard very good things about so all is not lost if she doesn't get the grammar if you are near one of those.
Here we go!

Post by Here we go! »

We are in Hampshire and we do have good schools locally, so you are right, it's not a big problem if she doesn't get in. I need reminding of that sometimes!
Highcliffe is also an option. I really liked the look of that school too. It's had a recent change of head apparently though so I don't know if that will mean anything changes?

Yes, it's frustrating about all the tutoring. However there are some that do it themselves.

As it's approaching I am finding it all a bit stressful. I keep that from my daughter though. It must be even harder for those in Bournemouth that have been working towards this for years though! :shock:
Here we go!

Post by Here we go! »

Does anyone know when we get the results? I had assumed we would get an email but it looks like they are sent in the post. So we receive the results this Friday or is that just the day they are popping them in the post?
Thanks
Onedayonechance

Post by Onedayonechance »

Here we go! wrote:Does anyone know when we get the results? I had assumed we would get an email but it looks like they are sent in the post. So we receive the results this Friday or is that just the day they are popping them in the post?
Thanks
In post this Friday, first class, fingers crossed get a Saturday postal delivery
Onedayonechance

Post by Onedayonechance »

Dorset Grammar schools are selective, both Poole and Bournemouth have recently expanded their catchment areas, in reality I think it will be very difficult to get into either if ooc, unless the child aces the exam.

I know lots of children who haven't paid for tutoring and got in, but they all worked hard at home with the preparation packs.

Post by 2112 »

the sad part is that even if they aren't tutored many of the children have been working for a few hours a week on all of this for at least a year if not a few years. Really there should be no need to do that. Unfortunately if some do then they get an advantage over others which I realise is the point but it really does often mean that many of the children who end up there really need to keep up an enormous amount of extra work to cope whereas others who would have coped just fine either don't bother taking the exam or miss out just through lack of hot housing.