Dont understand marking system?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scouselova

Dont understand marking system?

Post by scouselova »

If each paper is 50 questions is the max possible mark 150?
If so why do I see mentions of marks in the 200 range on this forum?
ToadMum

Re: Dont understand marking system?

Post by ToadMum »

scouselova wrote:If each paper is 50 questions is the max possible mark 150?
The scores used to determine eligibility will be standardised, not raw scores. Standardisation sets the ss for the mean raw score at 100, with scores above and below the mean ranging (usually) from 69/70 for the lowest raw score achieved to 140/141 for the highest. If you take three papers but the standardised scores are in the range 138 - 282 (the 'pass' here would be somewhere around 210 - 240?), there must also be some weighting going on, or combining of raw scores from two of the papers?

Odd as it seems to appear to some, a standardised score of 141 does not necessarily mean a raw score of 100%, it means that the candidates' raw score was at the top of the range. It could have been 100%, but equally it could have been 60% if the test was very hard.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scouselova

Post by scouselova »

Gosh now I'm even more confused! SO from a progress point of view all you can do is see how they are doing in raw scores. And to understand how that relates to any chance of meeting required standard is pretty much a guessing game perhaps based on past years levels?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

This explains how standardised scoring works.
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/advice ... xplanation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's difficult to give a typical raw score, as if the exam was easier or harder than previous years it still doesn't help.

I remember some years ago for DDs school someone had posted the score they got, their rank and the typical score they had been getting in practise papers, which was helpful. In DDs year we have info on raw scores, but got this a couple of years after the event and the exam has changed from GL to CEM, so doesn't help either.

Ultimately anything can happen on the day, the exam may be easier or harder than practice papers. (DD scored lower in VR and higher in NVR than she had been doing in practice papers.) Your DCs favourite types of question may come up or not. Aim for them improving their own score and don't worry too much about anyone else.
thescribe

Post by thescribe »

scouselova wrote:If each paper is 50 questions is the max possible mark 150?
I thought the VR paper had about 80 questions?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The purpose of standardisation is in part to overcome the fact the different eats may have different numbers of questions and that some tests are harder than others.