First day today!!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
BournemouthDad

First day today!!

Post by BournemouthDad »

Finally the end of the Journey (or really the start!) but jnr went off to walk to school for his first day. Looked very grown up!

Any advice needed by those waiting for test day in a few weeks just ask.
thescribe

Re: First day today!!

Post by thescribe »

Congratulations Bournemouthdad! You must be very proud!

My son is due to sit this year and I do have a couple of questions if you don't mind? :-)

They sit the three papers in one morning as you know. I'm wondering how long the break is between each paper?

Also, are they allowed to take a pencil case in with them and a bottle of water?

Silly questions I'm sure but I want to be as fully informed as I can be to minimise stress on the day! :-)

Thanks and I hope he enjoyed his first day!
BournemouthDad

Post by BournemouthDad »

thescribe wrote:Congratulations Bournemouthdad! You must be very proud!

My son is due to sit this year and I do have a couple of questions if you don't mind? :-)

They sit the three papers in one morning as you know. I'm wondering how long the break is between each paper?

Also, are they allowed to take a pencil case in with them and a bottle of water?

Silly questions I'm sure but I want to be as fully informed as I can be to minimise stress on the day! :-)

Thanks and I hope he enjoyed his first day!
Now you are pushing my memory ;) They were allowed the cases and water. They seemed quite laid back about what you could take in but certainly water bottles are quite important.

They do get a good break between exams but boys only sat the two papers plus the "essay" too. For one year only they didn't do the verbal reasoning although that decision was made some way into the year and not using a tutor or going to a prep school we only found out on this forum after doing most of the test papers.

The biggest thing is to not make a big deal out of it. Its really not that important. We know parents who dangled Ipads an playstations in front of their kids :shock: and the pressure on them really showed. Its amazing how many kids are off school "ill" in the week before the test. Yuo want them calm and relaxed so constantly talking abou it or offering big incentives will only result in stress and anxiety and probably a lower score.

The very best of luck, the test is the easy part, choosing your school options once the results come out is the tough bit!!
thescribe

Post by thescribe »

Thank you BournemouthDad!

We've got 3 weeks to go so I plan on a bit of light practice for the next couple of weeks then nothing the week before the exam. I'm hoping that's the right way to go!

Unfortunately when it comes to choices I'm a bit stuck :-( I would want him to go to Bishop but we're in Talbot Village so way out of catchment so I'm not sure whether it would be worth putting that down as a first choice. Winton is our catchment school and I'll admit, I'm not too keen. :-(
Ripcurlrana

Post by Ripcurlrana »

Hi
Just under 3 weeks to go...! My son is doing 1-2 papers a week. When do you suggest we stop them altogether? He's doing pretty well averaging 90% on all 3 papers. Don't want him to burn out or forget!!

BournemouthDad

Post by BournemouthDad »

Ripcurlrana wrote:Hi
Just under 3 weeks to go...! My son is doing 1-2 papers a week. When do you suggest we stop them altogether? He's doing pretty well averaging 90% on all 3 papers. Don't want him to burn out or forget!!

I think if your son is averaging 90% then you can put your feet up and relax. Far far more important that the whole process is not stressful and when he is clearly going to pass with marks like those then there is no reason for him or you to worry.

We did 1 paper a week and I think just did the one on the thursday night before the test.

I don't think you have anything to worry about if this years entry is anything to go by.
Ripcurlrana

Post by Ripcurlrana »

Thanks Bournemouth dad! Just curious what do you mean by your last sentence? :roll:
BournemouthDad

Post by BournemouthDad »

Ripcurlrana wrote:Thanks Bournemouth dad! Just curious what do you mean by your last sentence? :roll:
Sorry, what I meant was that from what you say about your son and his practice scores and based on what i know boys were scoring who sat it this year and passed to start this month, your son should be fine.
Ripcurlrana

Post by Ripcurlrana »

BournemouthDad wrote:
Ripcurlrana wrote:Thanks Bournemouth dad! Just curious what do you mean by your last sentence? :roll:
Sorry, what I meant was that from what you say about your son and his practice scores and based on what i know boys were scoring who sat it this year and passed to start this month, your son should be fine.
Thanks for that. What did the boys score on last years exams to get in? All that information seems to be top secret!! :lol:
BournemouthDad

Post by BournemouthDad »

Ripcurlrana wrote:
BournemouthDad wrote:
Thanks for that. What did the boys score on last years exams to get in? All that information seems to be top secret!! :lol:
They are not secret, they just wont mean anything as the papers have changed again :)

Everyone got into Bournemouth who wanted it this year. Several boys we know who were not expected to pass did so. My son appeared to score at least a top 5 mark and we haven't spoken to anyone yet that got higher. Pass mark was 196 (whatever that actually means) and boys who got 197 got in. I believe 196 as well. As mentioned, my son was scoring around 80% on the English paper during practice and still scored some way above the English pass mark.

The figures wont mean much to you as they will add back in VR but 80% will more than cover off a pass!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now