Waiting lists - what is the process?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
scouselova

Re: Waiting lists - what is the process?

Post by scouselova »

Our son no.1 on list, so close but so far! have to give appeal a go but am aware not a guarantee. All we can do is try our best. The decision will not be allowed to be life determining!
jackieg

Post by jackieg »

scouselova wrote:Our son no.1 on list, so close but so far! have to give appeal a go but am aware not a guarantee. All we can do is try our best. The decision will not be allowed to be life determining!
that's soooo close, I feel for you and your son. Could you please let us know if you get in?
jackieg

Post by jackieg »

Hopefully we will all get some news this week now Easter break, if anyone hears anything please can they post :)
scouselova

Post by scouselova »

Will do!
jackieg

Post by jackieg »

Got our appeal letter stuff yesterday - the thing about the waiting list that annoys me is looking through this forum at other counties a lot of people are able to go onto the council/school website to check what position they are in.

For us there is nothing other than hassling the school constantly - I know someone that visited the town hall but they said they cant help as list held internally only at BSB. Wish there would just be a list we could see somewhere.
jackieg

Post by jackieg »

Sigh - all this waiting is killing me. Does anyone know when the next round of places are allocated as I thought it would be done this week?

I know I am being impatient but getting frustrated with not hearing anything from anyone- whether good news or bad.
Twinmumdorch

Post by Twinmumdorch »

I think the problem with the Dorset system compared to somewhere like Kent or Birmingham for example, is the lack of grammar schools. Here, most people who are offered a place will take it and there will be very little movement. You might get the odd child who chooses an independent school over grammar but not many. Some areas have several grammars and lots of movement can be seen. :( Then the late applicants can go above your child on the list! That's happened to us.
I agree about keep ringing the school; I worry about upsetting them when I email asking questions about the appeal because I don't understand stuff. I don't want to upset anyone because my other twin has a place there! The waiting is hard. The appeal in not until mid-June so it's a long time until we find out because we might not hear for another week.
Do you know your current position? How does your son feel about his alternative school offer?
jackieg

Post by jackieg »

Yes you are probably right sadly although that's why I was trying to ask if anyone has any idea how much movement there has been in the past?

I know he is somewhere in the top 10 don't know exact position - although if scouselova is at no1 and presumably not heard anything obviously we won't be either. :(

I have emailed BS and had some very nice replies but yes don't want to get on their nerves or they will just ignore me eventually. I also emailed the council school admissions team who just said

"Thank you for your enquiry.

Dorset County Council do not process admissions for Bournemouth, you will need to contact Bournemouth Admissions direct for information on the status of your son's application."

Good luck with your application very sympathetic to your plight. Our alternative is Twynham which is a great school but he worked very hard for BS and has his heart set on going there.
Twinmumdorch

Post by Twinmumdorch »

I feel for you and your boy. If he has his heart set on BS and you want him to go there it's tough. I seem to remember he had a good score too so that makes it really hard. My son didn't get an out of catchment place for Poole Grammar a few years ago. Our alternative was a very good school too. It didn't change how we felt about the grammar though. I can't believe I am going through this same process ten years later with the twins!