Help with standardised score and chance of entry! Please!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
guest400

Help with standardised score and chance of entry! Please!

Post by guest400 »

Hi any help with working out likelihood of gaining a place at my chosen grammar would be appreciated as I'm beyond confused about scoring system!

Son scored: 318 (over 3 tests eng, maths and VR)
Required Standard was: 294

Scores have been standardised taking into account age weighting and all papers have a range between 69 and 141 marks (not %s). Average score for each test was 100.

He would need to be in the top 120 for a place as we are out of catchment. My suspicion is that we are very borderline but any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!!
phoenix45

Re: Help with standardised score and chance of entry! Please

Post by phoenix45 »

guest400 wrote:Hi any help with working out likelihood of gaining a place at my chosen grammar would be appreciated as I'm beyond confused about scoring system!

Son scored: 318 (over 3 tests eng, maths and VR)
Required Standard was: 294

Scores have been standardised taking into account age weighting and all papers have a range between 69 and 141 marks (not %s). Average score for each test was 100.

He would need to be in the top 120 for a place as we are out of catchment. My suspicion is that we are very borderline but any help would be really appreciated!

Thanks!!
When you have 318 and the required is 294, why would you worry? that said, top grammar schools would expect 336 and above for out of catchment students. If you say which schools you are targeting, you can search this forum to find their last years CAF and look at the o/c offers perhaps from their websites..hope this helps!
Ripcurlrana

Post by Ripcurlrana »

Hi Guest400

I feel your pain as we went through this wait last year. Not sure how much help this will be but my son scrored the same and got a place at BS. However we are in catchment. I don't know what you had to score to get into top 120 places.

I hope someone else from last year might be able to comment and help you. Good luck!
Last edited by Ripcurlrana on Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
phoenix45

Post by phoenix45 »

Ripcurlrana wrote:Hi Phoenix45

I feel your pain as we went through this wait last year. Not sure how much help this will be but my son scrored the same and got a place at BS. However we are in catchment. I don't know what you had to score to get into top 120 places.

I hope someone else from last year might be able to comment and help you. Good luck!
Ripcurlrana, its not me, Phoenix45 that needs help - I responded to the original post
Ripcurlrana

Post by Ripcurlrana »

phoenix45 wrote:
Ripcurlrana wrote:Hi Phoenix45

Ripcurlrana, its not me, Phoenix45 that needs help - I responded to the original post

Oops!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now