Uninformed father

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Windsurf4

Uninformed father

Post by Windsurf4 »

I've just been told by the mother of my kids that School's don't teach kids to pass the 11+.
Why is that?
And how can I help my kids be the best the they can be if the school won't?
Guest55

Re: Uninformed father

Post by Guest55 »

Schools teach the National Curriculum and that's it - my LA [Bucks] makes Heads sign a declaration that they have not done more than that.

There's plenty of help on here :) Welcome to the forum -
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

We are Birmingham, so not your area, but kids are not taught 11+ techniques here either. They are taught for SATs not 11+. Our primary did not even mention the 11+.
This forum should provide lots of valuable information for you, but the most important thing you can do as a parent is foster a love of reading - anything and everything that interests them - as that will really improve their vocab.
Windsurf4

Post by Windsurf4 »

Ok, thanks for the replies.
But. Everything I've read on this site is about tutors or things as parents we can do to help.
A gentleman from the isle of wight was fined for taking his kids out of school during term time.
Why is it everyone on here is giving suggestions of good tutors in their area and how we can do this or that.
We have to jump through hoops for our kids school but they won't teach them to get into the best school possible.
Why should we have to pay for a tutor and get fined for them being late or absent (for what ever reason).
Schools should be teaching this!
Rather than all of us doing the best we can, why aren't we making the schools do what they should be doing?
Together we could change this!
Why should we pay £50 per hour for a tutor, when the school should of taught it.
I'm so [Edited by moderator], this isn't right.
Help me make it right. Please.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Most of us on here DIYd and supported our own children so they were familiar with the test format. It does not take much time or money to do this.
Windsurf4

Post by Windsurf4 »

Ok, I'm not willing to not help my kids.
But why do we send our kids to school?
To learn and get the best education they can.
So shy aren't schools willing to teach our children well enough to pass the 11+.
My kids were late for school a few times in a month. I now get texts from the school at 7:30 in the morning to make sure they are ready in time.
But the school won't teach them to get into the best school possible.
Sorry but that's [Edited by moderator]!
KS10

Post by KS10 »

Windsurf4, it's been a few years since mine did the tests, but I don't think the content of the tests is always based on what is covered at primary school. Plus the tests vary from area to area.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I’d guess in Dorset the 11+ is optional and the situation is what it is. Primary schools teach the national curriculum and that is their responsibility. As annoying as it is if you wish your child to try for a selective secondary school then you need to find the resources to support your child. This forum can guide you how to do that.....
I hope you find it as useful as many others do to support your child.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

why should teachers spend their time teaching a very small number of kids to pass a specific test? GS only take a small minority of children - comprehensives take the vast majority and some areas have NO GS at all.

In theory, if your child is bright they would pass without a paid tutor. Mine did. If you feel you have to pay huge amounts then GS may not be for them. You certainly shouldn’t be taking them out of school to see a tutor.

There is a lot of info on here to help you help them at very little or no cost, if you want to help them be the best they can - and this would help them with all their education not just for 11+, which of course they may not pass.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Windsurf4 wrote:Ok, I'm not willing to not help my kids.
Your choice, I wasn't either re: the 11+, although I supported them generally, my choice.
Windsurf4 wrote:To learn and get the best education they can.
Yes
Windsurf4 wrote:So shy aren't schools willing to teach our children well enough to pass the 11+.
Because schools are educating them, not teaching a small number of them the arguably odd skills required to pass an arguably spurious test.
Windsurf4 wrote:My kids were late for school a few times in a month. I now get texts from the school at 7:30 in the morning to make sure they are ready in time.
Fair enough IMO, schools are measured on this, although I accept that perhaps they shouldn't be, low 'performance' here leads to a poor ofsted report which leads to parents slagging off the school. Oh the irony.
Windsurf4 wrote:But the school won't teach them to get into the best school possible.
The school's job is to educate the children, the best they can, within the framework they are given, not to pass a test for a school which will be totally unsuitable for most of them. It is also a misnomer to describe a grammar school as the 'best possible'. Particularly in 'non grammar' area such as Dorset, grammar schools are a reflection of their intake and nothing more. All the evidence suggests (trawl the relevant threads if you want the facts on this) that bright children do just as well in good schools, incidentally where attendance is high.
Windsurf4 wrote:Sorry but that's [Edited by moderator]!
Oh OK then. I thought you were uninformed?
mad?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now