2018 Grammar results

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
H1278

Re: 2018 Grammar results

Post by H1278 »

Also it’s rumoured that approximately 450 girls sat the test. So how do they work out the cut off point for the passmark? Is it based on a certain number of girls or is it for example the top 15%? Social media has been strangely quiet this year - usually feeds are full of children passing. Is it possible that they took the new catchments into consideration when setting this Year’s pass mark?
Onedayonechance

Post by Onedayonechance »

H1278 wrote:Also it’s rumoured that approximately 450 girls sat the test. So how do they work out the cut off point for the passmark? Is it based on a certain number of girls or is it for example the top 15%? Social media has been strangely quiet this year - usually feeds are full of children passing. Is it possible that they took the new catchments into consideration when setting this Year’s pass mark?
I wondered that Poole Grammar have raised their pass mark from 294 in 2017 to 305 for 2018 which might mean they have taken into account the catchment change, or maybe just a lot of boys took it. I can’t remember last year's girls pass mark but it was higher than the boys.
GinDoll

Post by GinDoll »

We (when I say we I mean my daughter) decided to put BSG as first choice, followed my (my preferred) school which is out of catchment, and then the catchment school. We will see what happens in March but I think looking at other marks (congratulations to those!!!!) that 215 out of catchment won't be enough anyway. I'm okay with this and so is little Miss Stroppy. She realises if she had finished her maths exam rather than daydreaming she would have had a better chance :D
Twinmumdorch

Post by Twinmumdorch »

My twins have just started year 9. We live out of catchment. The year that they did the 11+ there were only 16 ooc places left after everyone who lived in Poole with a pass mark of 294 or over were awarded places. This was obviously before the new catchment changes. The following year I think there were 26 places left.
Not everyone who is offered a place actually takes it.
Anyway, my twins scored 333 and 307 and you needed a score of 325 that year or higher out of catchment to gain a place. There were about 20 girls on a waiting list. I only know this because one of my twins was given a place and one wasn't and so we went to appeal where they discussed the stats.
I don't know if this information helps or not but I think if you have a very high scoring daughter out of catchment you have to be positive. We have a friend ooc who has just scored 337. A friend the previous year scored 331 and got a place ooc too.
Onedayonechance

Twinmumdorch wrote:My twins have just started year 9. We live out of catchment. The year that they did the 11+ there were only 16 ooc places left after everyone who lived in Poole with a pass mark of 294 or over were awarded places. This was obviously before the new catchment changes. The following year I think there were 26 places left.
Anyway, my twins scored 333 and 307 and you needed a score of 325 that year or higher out of catchment to gain a place. There were about 20 girls on a waiting list. I only know this because one of my twins was given a place and one wasn't and so we went to appeal where they discussed the stats.
I don't know if this information helps or not but I think if you have a very high scoring daughter out of catchment you have to be positive. We have a friend ooc who has just scored 337. A friend the previous year scored 331 and got a place ooc too.

I think your second twin got a place based on the twin rule, it's in their admissions criteria that a twin that passes can cause the school to go over admission numbers.
mumianella

Post by mumianella »

Twinmumdorch wrote:My twins have just started year 9. We live out of catchment. The year that they did the 11+ there were only 16 ooc places left after everyone who lived in Poole with a pass mark of 294 or over were awarded places. This was obviously before the new catchment changes. The following year I think there were 26 places left.
Thank you for the information. It's very reassuring
Twinmumdorch

Post by Twinmumdorch »

My twin wasn't given a place originally even though there was a multiple birth policy. We appealed, challenged the policy and won the appeal and they reworded the policy to take a multiple where they all pass if one gets a place. They had never had a case like ours before with ooc twins.
Onedayonechance

Twinmumdorch wrote:My twin wasn't given a place originally even though there was a multiple birth policy. We appealed, challenged the policy and won the appeal and they reworded the policy to take a multiple where they all pass if one gets a place. They had never had a case like ours before with ooc twins.
Very interesting. Proves that appeals are worth it.
agata79

Post by agata79 »

Hi all, my daughter get 325 pts, our postcode is BH12, about 2.5 miles from Parkstone Grammar, but still not sure to put this school in first place or not. First child going to secondary school. ...any ideas please :))
Twinmumdorch

Post by Twinmumdorch »

agata79 wrote:Hi all, my daughter get 325 pts, our postcode is BH12, about 2.5 miles from Parkstone Grammar, but still not sure to put this school in first place or not. First child going to secondary school. ...any ideas please :))
If you want your daughter to go to PGS (and she is eligible with that score) you have to put it as your first preference. If you don't do this the admissions people think you prefer an alternative i.e. non selective catchment and will give her a place there if there is one. If PGS is full and you can't get a place then they will look at offering your second preference. You have to put the school you really want the most first. Does that make sense?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now