Parkstone Grammar Appeal

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Jced79

Parkstone Grammar Appeal

Post by Jced79 »

Sorry for making a duplicate thread here, but I thought I might get a better response from people who live in the area and have actually been through the same thing.

I posted in the appeals part of this site and was very kindly directed to a section with lots of information to read. However, I don’t think I want to start down this road if the chances of success are slim to none. After a year, I would be ok with drawing a line under the whole 11+ thing and moving on, however my wife sees it slightly differently.

So my daughter needed 296 for Parkstone Grammar and achieved 294. She’s done really well to get so close, as she’s not in the top sets at her current school, but has put a lot of work in at home leading up to the tests and has probably exceeded my expectations, especially in her verbal score, which was terrific.

My question is, if she’s in the middle sets at her current school, I can’t appeal on academic grounds and her goldfish didn’t die the night before, so if I was to appeal, what would it be based on? Also, I’m sure people have failed by only 1 point, which is even more unfortunate.
J1278

Re: Parkstone Grammar Appeal

Post by J1278 »

Morning are you still planning to appeal or are you happy with the school you were offered? Look at the Parkstone Ofsted report as there is an interesting line about middle ability girls and how well they do at the school... could be useful.
Jced79

Re: Parkstone Grammar Appeal

Post by Jced79 »

Morning,

My wife wants to appeal. I suppose we should, but part of me would like to move on and see how my daughter gets on at the school where she has been offered a place (Magna) and perhaps apply again for the start of year 8. I know of someone who did the same thing; spent a year at magna and then sat and passed another test for Poole Grammar School. I think it was a maths and english test only.

I’ve read the appeals section of the forum and just don’t think we have any suitable grounds to appeal on, however, my wife thinks this is being negative :x Like I said previously, there were no extenuating circumstances and her school reports have always suggested she is of middle ability, however, she only missed out by 2 marks, so this just shows that she is actually quite a capable child, more so than her school reports suggest and she responded really well to the extra work we did together at home (I bought the CGP books and went through them with her as often as we could) and she really enjoyed this; I couldn’t fault her for effort. By the time of the test, she was so quick at the verbal reasoning, much quicker than me, and this was reflected in her score. Her maths score was average, but her English score of 88 really let her down.

Thank you for the advice about the ofsted report. I will have a read of this again today.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now