OOC Bournemouth + Poole

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Thomas1979

OOC Bournemouth + Poole

Post by Thomas1979 »

Hello,

We live OOC in Ferndown, just on the border of the catchment areas for Bournemouth School and Poole Grammar.

Where is our son more likely to get a place? Can you give a general idea of what percentage score he would need on the test to be accepted?

Also, can you appeal if you are rejected for being OOC if you are slightly out of catchment? We have tried to move to give him the best chance but unfortunately our house has not sold in time to move.
ToadMum

Re: OOC Bournemouth + Poole

Post by ToadMum »

Thomas1979 wrote:Hello,

We live OOC in Ferndown, just on the border of the catchment areas for Bournemouth School and Poole Grammar.

Where is our son more likely to get a place? Can you give a general idea of what percentage score he would need on the test to be accepted?

Also, can you appeal if you are rejected for being OOC if you are slightly out of catchment? We have tried to move to give him the best chance but unfortunately our house has not sold in time to move.
No idea re your relative likelihood of getting a place at either school, I'm afraid, but on your last question, you can submit an appeal for any school for which you applied but were turned down. In practice, in the first instance, this means for any school which you ranked higher on your CAF than the one your DC was offered.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
singinggirl

Post by singinggirl »

Hi,

I think its probably worth asking both schools what their pass marks were this year, although that can change by a few marks every year. Not sure how it works in terms of percentage, but I’m sure the schools would help there too! All four of the schools in this area can have slightly different pass marks to each other.

If the admissions criteria hasn’t changed (have a read of those on the school websites if you haven’t already), both boys’ schools rank all pupils according to their marks, and the majority of pupils get in that way. A smaller number of pupil places are reserved for those who live nearer. So if your son scores highly enough, it won’t matter that he lives outside of catchment. If he scores lower, then it is a bit more of an unknown!

My daughter got in to BSG with an out of catchment score of 331 if that helps.

Hope that helps a little

X
Onedayonechance

Post by Onedayonechance »

I have done a good amount of stalking and comparing, fwiw I have no professional skills and all is conjecture.
Last year it seems that those getting above 75% got in ooc, it's possible those with lower scores did as well but those I know who consistently got over 75% all got a place. In catchment was lower than 75%
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now