GL Practice Papers / Familiarisation papers

Eleven Plus (11+) in Dorset

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
RicoMcFunk

GL Practice Papers / Familiarisation papers

Post by RicoMcFunk »

Hello

Does anybody know what sort of marks my son should be getting now on the GL Multiple Choice practice papers and Familiarisation papers, to stand a decent chance of passing the Bournemouth test in September?

Thanks very much
Tvm

Re: GL Practice Papers / Familiarisation papers

Post by Tvm »

I was wondering this last year and couldn't find an answer. In the end my child passed with a score of nearly 360. We did the GL assessment papers you can buy and they had been scoring around 75% in maths and 80% in verbal reasoning and 85% in English against the clock (higher with no time pressure). They couldn't complete the maths papers in time and did best by picking off the "quick" questions first. Apparently on the day English was "easy" and maths was "the hardest trst I have ever done".
RicoMcFunk

Post by RicoMcFunk »

Thanks
J1278

Post by J1278 »

Hello, this time last year my daughter (GL practice papers) was consistently getting 90% on the VR, 85% on the English and 75% on the maths. She said GL packs 5 - 8 were the closest to the real tests and Packs 1-4 were much easier. My daughter did one set of tests per week during the holidays and she worked slowly through the CGP maths work book. This was enough prep for her and she didn’t feel pressured, in fact she enjoyed the work and felt ready for the tests on the day. She's looking forward to starting at PGS in September.
lollypop1119

Post by lollypop1119 »

Hello, my daughter passed last year and is starting at Parkstone on Wednesday. She had no tutoring and we did the GL packs in September, no other prep. She was getting 55 - 60% maths, and 70 - 80% for English and VR. She found the actual test much easier than the practice papers. Good luck! Most important thing I would say is to get them there in a positive mood, be prepared for chaos at drop off, it was madness. You aren't allowed to get out of the car with your daughters, just pull into drop off space, they get out and you have to drive straight off.
DinasaurGrrr

Post by DinasaurGrrr »

Hi another question womdering about people's scores on mock tests/past papers.

Its so hard to know if your child is in the right ballpark.

She's sat 2 mock tests locally and is averaging around 75% Some a few higher qnd some a few lower.

We aren't using mock tests at the moment - using the 10 a day currently and she often makes a couple of mistakes so I guess 7-9... maybe averaging 75%.

I'd like this to be stronger but also she doesn't love "prep" like her brother did so don't want to overdo it byt also a bit worried she's not "there."
DinasaurGrrr

Post by DinasaurGrrr »

Bumping my post for future posters to say she passed with flying colours - so goes to show you don't need 90% scores thankfully!
Pelethar

Post by Pelethar »

Would you be willing to share her score?

My daughter was scoring similar to yours in practice by the sounds of it - perhaps just a touch higher - and scored 333. Curious to see whether this broadly represented good, bad, indifferent performance on the day given where she was at in practice.

Thanks
Jced79

Post by Jced79 »

Pelethar wrote:Would you be willing to share her score?

My daughter was scoring similar to yours in practice by the sounds of it - perhaps just a touch higher - and scored 333. Curious to see whether this broadly represented good, bad, indifferent performance on the day given where she was at in practice.

Thanks
Hi,

My son was averaging 75% on the practice papers and passed with a score of 340.

J.
Bourne Mum

Post by Bourne Mum »

Sounds like a mixed bag of results. My daughter was averaging in the mid to late 70s and she got 320.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now